Guessing sex!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

Any ideas on the sex of this Scrubbie I've mentioned in another thread? Even an educated guess would be good! The tail is relatively long, probably 400mm+ on an animal that's approx2.5 metres, if that helps. You can just make out small spurs either side of the vent (black scales).

Interesting read, thanks Niall. Can anyone tell me if presence or size of spurs is any indication of sex in Python species, or, indeed, tail length, as I have been led to believe?

I believe the sex determination by spurs is related to the "nail" on the spur, not just the presence of spurs.

an educated guess is still a guess,and useless when determining sex really after all it is a 50/50 answer.
I would probe if i was you,its actually very easy to learn and you could learn on this scrubbie as it will be easy to probe being a large snake.
Read how to do it and give it a go bobby pins make good makeshift probes.

an educated guess is still a guess,and useless when determining sex really after all it is a 50/50 answer.
I would probe if i was you,its actually very easy to learn and you could learn on this scrubbie as it will be easy to probe being a large snake.
Read how to do it and give it a go bobby pins make good makeshift probes.

Very good point, I did the same, posted pics of tail including length etc, asked for educated guesses. Most replies where for a male, however unless my new guaranteed male is busexual the snake in question is most definitely a female. I am going to buy a set of probes and be sure from now on.

l "think" its a female and thats only a guess [looking at a pic] but there is a lack of hp enlargement thus def pointing towards a female
.....solar 17 [Baden]

Thanks all, much appreciated! I'll have to give probing a go at the final vet check and in the presence of a vet. Nice "think" Baden. I've been trying to check for "tapering" and hp enlargement but the animal dosen't want to sit still (suprisingly) and I have nothing to compare it with when it does:)! A more experienced python person helped with these shots and thought it may be female as well. Here's a blurry side on view!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back