Guinea pig 4 dinner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Reaction score
Hello peoples!!

It was time to feed roxy(the bredli) again b4 her is heat is turned down,and i went to the freezer no large rats.When to the breeding cage and i couldn't knock any of them off as they have been great breeder's of late all seem to have a litter at the moment,so i cruized down the pet shop grabbed a couple of larges,went to the counter old mate turns around and says $14.I nearly bloody died so i hit him up for live and they were to small $6 each,not bad,but then i seen the guinea pigs for $5 so i bought 1.
Not knowing if she would scough it i put the pig to sleep and in it went and without a moments hessitation "WhAcK"!!!She smashed it.
She looked like she loved it and it filled her up nicely.
Usually would take 2-3 rats to fill her like that.

So basically i am asking are guinea pigs a suitable diet or are they very fatty.It seemed quite fleshy but still have some big bones that wouldn't matter.I might have to breed some if they crack alright.
Oh but the way she passed it about 5 days later i think it was maybe 6 but didn't smell to bad and there was a crap load of crap and to make this disgusting it Looked like a very healthy stool which i was happy about.

.Slatey and all that feed rabbits i can only imagine what you go through.
Mind you i will never go to a store again.
I would like to know why they are rats are so expensive at a pet store.

Rob

be careful with guinea pigs rob, they are not only fatty but the fur on them can cause problems with the digestive tract of your snake, if you do youe them for future feeds i have heard that it is best to shave them to remove all fur

Guinea Pigs are fine as an occasional food item and I would think would be great as a pre - cooling feed due to higher fat content. Don't breed them, they only have a litter every 10 weeks at most, average 2-3 babies per litter and need fresh fruit, veg or grass every day. Get the short haired ones and they have a lot less hair per kg of body weight than most rats do. Aso you say, a large guinea pig is worth 3 or 4 rats (I've fed 1kg GP's to the waters) and only costs $5-6 from a pet shop. You can hardly breed your own rats for that price, so just buy one when you want to feed you snakes one.

BTW, That's not bad for pet shop prices, we pay $9 for a live rat here.

Getting off topic I know, but I saw live just weaned rats for $12 at a pet store on the weekend - what a shocker!

I have no worries feeding vermin to our snakes. lol.
I think "take this for the time your great great great great great great granfather scared the bjebbas out of me." When they only have live at the Petstore I see the mother rat walking on her babies as they hold on drinking and I think, yes, you can die I don't care.
Guinea pigs are equally as disgraceful. lol
MM

Thanks everyone very useful info.
I did grab a shoet haied GP cause the other lot were just a ball of fluff.
After feeding it i thought of shaving them.
Also thanks Magpie i din't relise they were such slow breeders,i think i'll give it a miss.buying on the occasion seems more suitable.

Nicole said:
Getting off topic I know, but I saw live just weaned rats for $12 at a pet store on the weekend - what a shocker!

I was looking for the price of rats at the local pet shop on the weekend too....and couldn't find any (rats that is!) I found it quite funny to a degree because I had a feeling they weren't running around in anything wheel shaped at the buyers place!!

Also Earthmother, I couldn't agree more with you about the vermin; I've never heard about python plagues have you??, I think rats & mice are definately put on the planet for snake supper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back