Halogen Downlights??????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Reaction score
Has anyone used these for lighting/heating in their enclosure??? I was told that they emit UV light so I wouldnt have to use a fluorescent UV light.
Is this true?????

cheers

Jonny

Jonny I can't say that I personally have ever seen anyone I know ever use them. I am only guessing but with the heat they emit I would think they would be hard to regulate as far as temp goes? I could be and have in the past been wrong but if anyone has give us a hoy and share.

hey jonny i was just having a flick through this lighting book and yes they do emit UV but it is an australian design standard that "all halogen lamps must have a UV stop as per IEC 60432-2:1999"

So basically yes they do produce UV but the glass used to make them pervents it from penetrating the globe itself.

Hope this helps
Matt

I use dicroics in one enclosure bank. The set up has one large enclosure on top and two smaller divided at the bottom. The space dividing the bottom is about 180mm wide and 500 high ot contains the transformers. It heats the side walls on the lower tow and the floor middle section of the upper which also has another platform. Northern blueys and shingles in bottom, olive in top.
On timers.

no good for smaller snakes as they can get up to and out the light cradles.
Peter

dammit those australian design standards, descrimination against us herp loving peoples :x

cwarren

I am talking about the small ones that are commonly recessed into ceilings. They do not produce too much heat and they can easily be controlled by a dimmer switch which would solve this problem.

I mainly want it for lighting of a area where I cant fit a fluorescent UV tube.

cheers

Jonny

Jonny,
There are some screw-in UV globes available, made by a UK company called Arcadia. Only problem is I think only the Reptile Barn in St. Marys, Sydney sells them and they're $85. I have used one and it's still going strong, but very expensive. This will save on space

Simon Archibald

get some of these guys on a regular baton mount wount take up much room at all

and it will provide you with Plenty of UV.... really it is the cheap alternative

hi all the link that moosenoose was talking about was this one http://www.anapsid.org/blacklight.html Please have a read as i believe it is important for all herpers to know.

This was my response, thanks moosenoose for the link this is important.

"Hey mate that artical is spot on.... you really have to be careful with what type of blacklight you use (ie what spectrum it operates in)

The ones that i use (and sell) operate it the 350-400 nanometre, or UV-A region of the spectrum this causes no damage to the reptiles it is only once you step out side of the 450+ spectrum that you will run into problems.

this is the info that should be passed on to all keepers to prevent any damage to reptiles... they are truely my passion and the last thing i would want to do is cause any harm to them.

Hope this clears it up for ya mate
Take care
Matt"

Cheers
Matt

stockeh said:
hey jonny i was just having a flick through this lighting book and yes they do emit UV but it is an australian design standard that "all halogen lamps must have a UV stop as per IEC 60432-2:1999"

You can get "open" dichroic lights. They don't have the piece of glass across the front to block UV. They're just your run of the mill Downlight. They are available at Bunnings or any lighting shop. I use them in 2 enclosures. One is in My Gillens enclosure and gives a nice high temp hot spot that they love to bask under and the other is in my Pink Tongue enclosure. I've only ever seen 50watt lights. They work a treat. Mine are enclosed in wire mesh to avoid burns as they get extremely hot.

Greg.

How would it be to run them on a dimmer control like a 'dimtec' dimmer or the like. You could get the light slowly coming on in the morning and fading out at night. No replacement for natural sunlight I'd imagine but it'd look cool. I feel sorry (perhaps unwarranted) nfor the snake when the light just 'flicks' on! Geez, I'd hate to have that happen every morning when I wake up LOL.

p.s Thanks too for the response Matt.

Hey greg.

I just had a chat to the crompton guy Re UV from downlights.... apparently even the ones without the glass at the front dont give off Uv in a forward motion... the reflector is designed to pass the UV through the back of the globe ie upwards to get it away from the light beam.

Also the glass they use to make the bulb itself is non UV permissive and that helps for the reflector to pass the UV backwards..

Hope that made sense...lol..

Take care
Matt

There might be something to what you say Matt. I'm not sure at all about the UV output of them. I've read something similar to what you've said. I read where it's the Infra Red radiation (heat) that is transferred out the back of the reflector which reduces the amount of heat projected from the front of the light. (There's still enough though for a hot spot).

The ones I have seen with the glass over the front are packaged as "non UV" which would lead me to believe that the "open" ones would have to emmit a certain amount of UV.

Greg.

moosenoose said:
How would it be to run them on a dimmer control like a 'dimtec' dimmer or the like. You could get the light slowly coming on in the morning and fading out at night. No replacement for natural sunlight I'd imagine but it'd look cool. I feel sorry (perhaps unwarranted) nfor the snake when the light just 'flicks' on! Geez, I'd hate to have that happen every morning when I wake up LOL.

p.s Thanks too for the response Matt.

I have thought of doing that too but not sure how to rig it up. wish i knew a sparky. any ideas?

i am sure a small percentage would escape (it would be very small) but enough for them not to be able to mark the packets as non UV... ya have to be very careful how you advertise things these days :)

Take care Mate

Matt

instar said:
I have thought of doing that too but not sure how to rig it up. wish i knew a sparky. any ideas?

I could find out Instar. I work with an Engineering firm as a drafty. They specify intellegent dimmer systems called Dimtec controllers. I'd have to ask one of the Engineers about the cost and possibilities involved with using one. They're not very big or anything, and would be easily concealed. Unfortunately (this will be a matter of opinion), I'm home today with a screamer of a migrane (ouch!) and didn't make it in today to work, so unfortunately I can't find that info out at the moment. I'll ask tomorrow, and repost to this topic.

i am pretty sure you can also get a small dimmer that you can actually plug the appliance into so that no wiring is required..

Dimmer plugs to the wall, lights plug to the dimmer all done... i saw them at tandy a little while back they were only about 20-30 dollars i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back