Halogen Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

narre

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I recently bought a ‘puck’ style 12V halogen (enclosed within its own round housing) to use in one of my enclosures (snakes).

On testing I noticed that the housing gets too hot to touch.

I found a few threads on halogens being used, but no real mention of using them with cages etc.

Is it ok to use a halogen without a cage?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have mine in a cage but mine is only warm to touch. If it is too hot for you to touch without burning yourself put a cage on it because its likely they can burn themselves too.

The main thing to consider is can they coil around it or lie against it. It should only be a problem if the light is off and the snake decides to snuggle it and it turns on gradually burning the snake. The snake has enough sense not to push up against something too hot to burn them.

I haven't put a cage surrounding my down light but I positioned in the middle of the hood with no climbing branches around or even close to it. The snake wouldn't really pursue the light as the down light is creating a basking spot on the ground of the enclosure where the snake would feel safer basking anyway might be different for arboreal species though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back