Hamilton Island QLD, what kinds of reptiles are there?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcmarc

Reaction score
I am going to the island within a month and I was wondering about my chances of seeing any type of reptiles there. Natural surrounds would be preferable.

Can anyone recommend any particular activity or spot to go herping please?

I live in Adelaide so seeing anything other than a blue-tongue will most likely get my rocks of, in a "mostly appropriate" way that is. Not a great deal of reptile variety where I live.

Thanks.

I spent time on herron island and hardly saw anything other than some sea turtle, hopefully hamilton is better for you.

There is a little Wildlife place, like a zoo. It's not too bad

you may see some eastern water dragons if there is a fresh water pond or lake they might be some around
Good luck:)

I spent time on herron island and hardly saw anything other than some sea turtle, hopefully hamilton is better for you.
I'm surprised you didn't mention AHG, Heron Island is full of them.
Heron island is a coral cay while Hamilton Island is a "drowned" mountain and should contain most of the local species, you should be able to see GTS, BTS and maybe a coastal.

Snake id - Hamilton Island - Australia - BirdForum
snakes on hamilton island - Hamilton Island Message Board - TripAdvisor

And this warns of Goannas ( photo is of an old Goulds?)
Hamilton Island Warnings or Dangers - Travel Safety Tips - VirtualTourist

Last edited:
Thanks guys, i'll have to do a bit of exploration. Should be good.

Didn't see any Fuscus and we were staying in the research station so we weren't in the tourist area, we were kept pretty busy though while we were there.

From experience, you can possibly see. GTS, BTS, Carpets, Yellow faced whip snakes and death adders. Apparently there are Maculosa on the island (have not seen) but have on nearby long Island. No blue tongues but have seen alot of Nobbies or Tommy round heads (not that flash on agamids) AHGs are a plenty dont take them back home and goannas are there just not as plentiful as Whitehaven beach. a few skinks and you are set. Post pics when you can.

Welcome to the Whitsundays.

I just got back yesterday, didn't see to much of the reptile side of things :( I tried really hard to look for GTS especially after the people next door stressing out about the dangerous green snake they saw, I set them straight in regards to them being harmless.

The animal park on Hamilton island is pretty tiny and not really worth the trouble although their big croc was pretty awesome to see. Bug-wise all I saw was one huge locust (don't know what type), a green leaf-looking grasshopper, a wasp, and one fly (that was it). I was expecting more bug stuff as well. I think next trip shall be a bit more northward.

It's still worth the visit to Hamilton Island guys!! The trip to reefworld was awesome and I even did a little scuba diving. Plenty of other things to do as well. The only let-down was the food on the Denison Star dinner cruise, and Sails. We had the best ever seafood platter at Mariners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back