Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inthegrass

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
does anyone know who the person is that was bitten by his pet taipan yesterday. 34 year old male taken to sutherland shire hospital, is in stable condition.
story on page 3 todays telegraph.
cheers.

All I know is that his name is Shane and he is from Heathcote. I was calling him all day yesterday as I was meant to go and see him. I was getting quite peeved until I finally got on to his wife Vanessa this morning who gave me the terrible news. He is in intensive care and should be out on Wednesday.

I will keep everyone up to date and maybe get some photo's if he is happy enough to oblige.

I am certain everyone joins me in wishing him th ebest.

Shane Black? I know he has alot of elapids. You usually see his adds on reptiles downunder

Simone.

I have just come back from Shane's place and he is totally OK. It was no where near as bad as the media reported. It was actually a fierce snake, not a taipan that tagged him. It was merely a frustration bite as opposed to a "I'm gunna kill ya" bite.

Anyway, here is apic of the offender and another of a nice big 8 foot coastal.

Shane has a wonderful collection of elapids and some beautiful Cape York coastals. He used to own a lovely little Bells as well. Hehehe.

It was actually a fierce snake, not a taipan that tagged him.

Lucky it wasnt a taipan!! lol
Good one Pete!

That would be an Inland Taipan Pete, Oxyuranus microlepidotus.

Yes Ad, Shane said that a taipan got him about a year ago and it was much worse. He was driven straight to hospital as he had a mate with him but still suffered a collapsed lung and was in there for a week.

Oh yeah, and to this little black duck, when someone says "taipan" without prefacing, I think Coastal Taipan. So when someone says they were bitten by a taipan I immediately think they were bitten by a coastal. sorry for all the confusion

peterjohnson64 said:
It was no where near as bad as the media reported. It was actually a fierce snake, not a taipan that tagged him.

LOL

You make it sound like a Fierce Snake bite is of less concern than a taipan bite!
:lol:

:p

Hix

Well interestingly, thats basically how Shane described it to me. I think from memory he said "Lucky it wasn't that one" when we had the big coastal out. Of course, I understand that Fierce Snake venom is more dangerous but I think he was more alluding to the fact that there wasn't really any malice in the bite and it probably didn't stick too much in him whereas the Coastals probably would.

Now here I am calling "Taipans" "Coastals"

and Pete, do you know EVERY scientific name of every reptile off by heart!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back