handling geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally no, how much handling you can do without stressing your animal out will depend on the species and the individual.

I have a male levis that will happily tolerate short stints on handling and a female who hates to be touched. Ironically she will take food from my fingers which he won't do.

yes you can handle them a bit but it is not recomended because they get over stressed easily and may loose there tail

Generally no you can't handle them like a bearded dragon etc. They are easily scared, delicate and can drop their tails.
You can certainly pick them and move them or inspect them but they will not tolerate it for long.

Geckos are huge in Indonesia but not many people handle them much
Skin/ is very soft and delicate compared to most other lizards and they seem susceptible to skin disease more easily
Bearded Dragons would be best if you want something to play with
They will just sit on your shoulder happily for hours and most will hand feed etc very easily

I don't unless moving them for cleaning the tubs with new sand.

I generally don't handle my animals unless I have a good reason to do so, they will be less stressed and show better natural behaviors.

I generally don't handle my animals unless I have a good reason to do so, they will be less stressed and show better natural behaviors.

I try and do the same but 2 of my netted dragons love jumping onto my hands and arms when im cleaning the tank out or trying to feed them.

i dont think you can compare netted dragons with geckos, i know the latter really dont like to be handled unless its absolutely necessary like moving them when you are cleaning their enclosure.

I wasn't saying netted dragons and geckos were the same I agreeing with Geck82s comment about handleing his animals as little as possable.

I handle mine occasionally, mine is very calm being held, but sometimes he hisses when I touch him or spray him.

Baxter is a quick little bugger so i try not to handle him to often.he does stick his head out for food,he doesn't mind a gentle stroke on the back,but thats it.

the leopard gecko i kept before had skin very much akin to silk,
felt thin and smooth
it was abit freaky handling it cz i always worried about tearing the (presumably) delicate belly
regardless leopard geckos have been advertised as "handleable pets", my personal experience (and paranoia) made me keep him as more of a display animal

I handle mine occasionally, mine is very calm being held, but sometimes he hisses when I touch him or spray him.

My male does the same, then bolts to the other side of the tank. They're quick little buggers.

My Amyae does not mind handling too much at all. I only handle him once or twice a week and for never more than a few minutes, he calmly sits on my hand or climbs up my arm. I guess it depends on the gecko but just have to remember to wash those hands :)

i get my amyae out every 23 days frp a drink, tehy just sit on my hand and lick droplets off their faces, but i cant see them being handleable like something like a beardy,...

same deal fro the goldentails, they love getting a drink, but thats about it. :p

Geckos are huge in Indonesia but not many people handle them much

well yea considering the size of tokays (a.k.a. *****ing thing, as in "get this *****ing thing off my finger!!!") i wouldnt want to mess with the pitbulls of the gecko world either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back