Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly does that help the thread? No doubt it was just a way for you to show off and show how experienced or brave you are. It's people who do stupid things like this that make it hard for people who do the right thing to keep up with the DECC's regulations put in place because of stupid acts.

If you want to free handle that's your choice, but posting pictures of it just reassures the community as a whole that reptile keepers are idiots

Only in your opinion (which by the way I couldn't give a toss about :))

To the russian gun try hard..

Leave moosey alone, clearly, it is you who has no idea what you are talking about. He is a top bloke, and respected and admired by many. Just because he posts the photo, you automatically assume it is his hand? Perhaps, you shouldn't be so nasty when you have only been a member for a few days?

I mean, FFS, if you want to flame someone over something worthwhile.. How about me?

How exactly does that help the thread? No doubt it was just a way for you to show off and show how experienced or brave you are. It's people who do stupid things like this that make it hard for people who do the right thing to keep up with the DECC's regulations put in place because of stupid acts.

If you want to free handle that's your choice, but posting pictures of it just reassures the community as a whole that reptile keepers are idiots

Lol, I guess not handling a thread when you can't identify a poster would apply here, what a great coincidence! While I don't know him personally, Moose was simply adding a bit of levity to this thread. He knows what he's doing even if he has misidentified it as a Jungle.

You are safe mate, while not a jungle, it is a harmless baby darwin carpet, southern form. Realllllly southern form!

Cheers! :D

Not friends.. He has not even heard from me in, oh, four years? I was simply sticking up for him, because you sir, are an ****hole!

Flame me as much as you want, I agree I deserve it too.. You obviously know at least a little about me. But I can hazard a guess that you have no idea about moosenoose, or ninety-nine percent of the members on this site? Leave them alone!

im with jordo on this one handleing a snake that you havent identified is sometimes necessary to identify them.... i thought that would be the obvious....

hey guys im the reason this whole thread started and yes i will admit i havnt done any handling course's but saying that i have grown up with snakes my whole life ive lived in the bush and ive been relocating snakes since i was 14years old started with pythons then moved to brown tree's black snakes and i have removed tigers and browns before with a hook and bag i havnt pinned a brown or a tiger although i do feel quite safe pinning a little 30cm snake i have bit of metal with rubber on one end that i use to pin i dont pin with extreme force just enough to get its head and the only reason i did pick it up was to get an ID on it and move it away from where me my brother and a mate were working. everyone has there own say about handling snakes you dont know what it is thats fair enough its there say but when people say to me you shouldnt free handle snakes you dont know what they are i wasnt free handling i had its head and i was fine with it. He/she wasnt agessive or anything it just sat there for about 1min while i got a pic then i moved it away.

Hey Woody your thread prompted me to start this thread though your not the sole reason and I'm not personally criticizing your actions, I was really hoping to start some good discussion on the reasons handling a species that hasn't been ID'd should or shouldn't be done, I personally have never been in a situation where Ive had to head an Elapid and although Ive seen it done many a time I still am not confident enough to do it myself, although I have dealt with Browns and Tigers I haven't yet come across large specimens of these, I believe I am well aware of my limitations. in saying that even the best of handlers sometimes come unstuck.
I am interested to know how people have developed there knowledge and experience, after all even the experts had to grab a snake for their first time, where would we be if these people and their fascination for snakes was criticized at every turn, or should I say if they payed attention each time they were criticized.
I love snakes, I love vens and for reasons I can't properly explain I have been drawn to them and wanting to interact with them. I imagine there would be a few at least who understand where I'm coming from. I have a deep respect for what I am dealing with and understand that every time I interact with a venomous snake I am taking a big risk, but how else am I to learn and gain experience?
If anyone else responds to this I would like to keep it constructive.
Farma, you say yes snake behaviour is that variable, (and I agree) but how about an example.
Can someone give an example of a snakes behaviour that could bring me unstuck If I couldn't ID it properly, again assuming that I am only experienced in dealing with Perth Elapids, say I was on a herping trip in the Eastern states somewhere, whats an example of a behavioral trait that could bring me unstuck should I not be unable to identify or misidentify a snake.

Steve
PS. lets try and keep it civil and constructive

I learnt by doing when i was young, like primary school age. But that got a couple of my good friends bitten when we tried catching snakes at school. I remember being really jealous that i didn't get to be in the paper or on TV when they did lol. Then i didn't do much for my highschool years and did a couple training courses when i got a job doing callouts in darwin.

An example i can think of where two similar snakes behave differently that could bring you unstuck is the difference between gwardars and black whips. Every single stationary or slow moving black whip i have come across has done a 'U-turn' back on itself when confronted, no matter the direction it is confronted. Which makes for easy hook and tailing. I thought i could transfer this information to gwardars... lol i couldn't, they have a much greater habit of standing their ground and bluffing (dunno if that's the right word) their way out of a confrontation.

The "I learnt from doing as a kid" seems to be common among ven handlers, unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it I didn't have much to do with them as a young fella. It does sort of contradict telling people not to handle them but at the same time I understand that as adults we can't just say go ahead.
Would you say that Westerns tend to stand their ground more so than other Browns? Would they be on par with Easterns?

Keep your eyes open and know your limitations. Different species have different behavioural traits but its really of little consequence if your flicking it into a bag with a hook.
I learnt by catching the local Dugites and Tigers as a kid. I was a mad pinner to start with and slowly moved towards tailing over a few years. Experience does wonders but to me if your able to deal with highly mobile and large Elapids like Pseudonaja you should be able to deal with anything regardless of whether or not you can ID it at a glance. A bit of common sense and wariness goes a long way.

I've only caught westerns since knowing my **** from my elbow when it comes to elapids. I don't remember what the snakes were i used to catch as a kid.

Keep your eyes open and know your limitations. Different species have different behavioural traits but its really of little consequence if your flicking it into a bag with a hook.
I learnt by catching the local Dugites and Tigers as a kid. I was a mad pinner to start with and slowly moved towards tailing over a few years. Experience does wonders but to me if your able to deal with highly mobile and large Elapids like Pseudonaja you should be able to deal with anything regardless of whether or not you can ID it at a glance. A bit of common sense and wariness goes a long way.

I know it's not an alapid but i almost came unstuck a while ago tailing a bockadam, it was nothing like the browns or whips lol.

He nearly gave his mates piss pulling rights by getting bitten by a googly eyed mud slug :lol:

in my opinion if you feel you have the skill and experiance to handle an unidentified snake go for it and just treat it as deadly untill you know otherwise ,i have done it myself as many have ,he obviously is fasinated with reptiles like we all are and was trying to id something new to him so i realy think everyone should get of his back

G'day,
Re excepting to the rules of handling snake. The obvious example would be tailing adders after handling common stuff for a while but that would be a real amature mistake. An easier blunder would be tailing a roughie or any hops with out considering their climbing ability. It would come as a shock to some to see how quickly a they come towards their tails, in the case of roughies with their mouth agape, after getting a notch on your belt from tailing redbellies. Then again I only learnt this from teaching myself in the blinding lights of my highbeams hahaha I guess its a serious issue but you all gotta light the ****** up hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back