Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca-Marie

Reaction score
So ive had alchemy (childrens python) for about two weeks and he hasnt eaten, while im aware hatchies can take a while to settle in im concerned that he isnt as well fed as he should be. I was told he had 8 feeds before i got him. He is in a 30 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm enclosure, i havent been handling him and temps seem to be ok. He‘s fairly active just not interested in the pinky at all. Ive attached a pic if that helps to judge if hes too skinny? Should I be worried?

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366376892291.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366376892291.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 151
Alchemy looks fine to me and lovely colours and patterns as well. While you should not be worried that he/she has not eaten there is probably a reason as a lot of snakes will eat within the first week if the conditions are right. My advice would be to not worry but try and figure out what is not right, saying that there is also a chance that he/she is taking a little longer to settle in. Did you buy Alchemy from a breeder or shop? If it was a breeder do not be afraid to to call and ask questions and they may even come have a look at your setup and give you some advice.

I got him from a pet shop. Would he be preparing to brumate? I didnt think they do unless they are cooled? Ill just let him be and try next week.

Stimsons are renowned for knowing when it is time but young ones with the correct heat usually will eat through winter. Some people cool young snakes through winter with no ill effects but I personally do not. Up until they are over 12 months I feed them and heat them year round. Maybe post your temps and a picture of how your enclosure is set up and even possibly put a towel over the front to give Alchemy more privacy to settle until your next feeding attempt. Also are you leaving the food in overnight because some snakes like to eat in privacy in there own time.

Yeah i leave it over night. The temp is 25°c - 27°c with his warm spot being 30°c i checked that before i fed him tonight, maybe tomorrow there will be no pinky (fingers crossed. ) ill get a pic of the enclosure tomorrow.

Yeah i leave it over night. The temp is 25°c - 27°c with his warm spot being 30°c i checked that before i fed him tonight, maybe tomorrow there will be no pinky (fingers crossed. ) ill get a pic of the enclosure tomorrow.

30 is a bit colder than I run. I usually use about 32-33 at the hotspot. I would also try only once a week or fortnight so you do not frighten your hatchy. Were you shown techniques to feeding at all buy the salesperson?

In guessing, it has to do with bulk purchases = less hassles for the breeders, unfortunately this is not the best thing for the purchaser, or the animal... Easier for pet shops to stay competitive price wise, and still get a good mark up... Just my opinion....

Shops should be responsible and ensure all snakes have had a few feeds at least in their care, unfortunately a lot don't. Having said that, Anteresia can be a little shyer than other species. Make sure your hot spot is at 32-34 and don't handle at all. Only try and feed once every 5 days or so as trying everyday will just stress him/her out more and don't handle at all until it has fed a few times.

The shop guy said he had fed 8 times. Iv had hatchies before and no problems. I havent handled him i will up the temps and see how he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back