Hatchling Carpet Enlosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdhamhRuadh

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just need to know, how long would a 32cm Wide, 18cm Deep, 28cm High "Critter Keeper" type cage be able to house a hatchling Coastal Carpet? (How old/big would the python get before I had to move it into a bigger enclosure?)

Thanks,
KrimenuL

Hi Krimenul when i got my hatchling coastal she moved straight into her 3 by 2 by 2 foot enclosure shes now a year old and has almost out grown that she is longer than it now. I dont think your critter cage will last very long.

Carly

coastals are an easy snake to keep that dont mind going straight into a reasonable size enclosure, it will out grow the critter keeper real quick, but if you get something of a good size it will last you for years to come

cheers
Matt

Hi KrimenuL, the size of your hatchie must be already close, or more then the length of the Critter. Going by the average size hatchie being around the 30cm.
The absolute minimum length of an enclosure should be half the length of the snake, but preferable, two thirds.
So to answer your question, my guess would be 6-month
Cheers Artie

Six months sounds about right.
I bought a super-sized critter cage from Clints on the weekend for $35. It is 60cm long and quite handy although I would definitely not use it as a long term enclosure.

It depends on how quick your snake grows in 12 month.

It's not bad advice Keef. But when the coastal is twice as long as a click-clack it really should have a proper enclosure of its own.
The welfare of your snake is the most important consideration when it comes to housing.

I couldnt agree more greebo. When I purchased the enclosure I was told the snake would be more comfortable in there till he was one than in a larger one ... I even suggested I would relocate at 9 months and was told 'we recommend one year!'. Being new to this game and thinking he knew better I didnt doubt it, now I just think they were after the $$$'s.

Guess you learn with experience ... and the others on these boards :)

I reckon it depends on the snake, but I left my Coastal and Diamond in their critter cages for about 9 months. Then again, I am growing them fairly slowly, no power feeding... I think you can almost tell by their behaviour when they are ready for more room.
My Mac is a yearling, and still in her critter cage, but just lately I've been thinking she should get a bigger home, she seems to want to explore more and hides less these days, so she's moving to what used to be the Olives old house before she gets a shiny new place of her own.

Ah yes indeed, but the positive aspect of that is that you then have a small enclosure left vacant, damn, just have to buy another critter :)

he he he... exactly my prob africa... i think I will eventually have to buy something that will stay small so I dont end up moving it up to a larger house and have to put something else in there :)

I started with the critter cages but have entered the endless quest of larger enclosures. If I had my time over I would bite the bullet & build adult sized enclosures & section them off for the new babe.

Yeah, so then ya build an adult enclosure with a divider or two. Oh look at that, a couple of spare divisions! Now, what can I put in there ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back