he doesn't wanna come out

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i know there's some discussion going on in another post about people's snakes not wanting to go back into their enclosures but i have more difficulty getting mine out! at first he tries to run away but he keeps that damn tail anchored around a branch or something and it's really hard to get the bugger out! i feel mean sometimes cos he obviously doesn't wanna come out. i was wondering if anyone else has as much trouble as i do and if there's any way to make him feel more comfortable or if it's just something he will get used to eventually (we've had him for 3 months now) or if it's an individual snake personality thing or what. i handle him about once a day or every second day.

Try not to worry about it zoe.
I find all our snakes do exactly the same thing with the odd exception.
This is prolly gonna cause some comment but I think even when you get a snake tamed and settled none really enjoy being handled.Given the choice of staying where they are or being handled I reckon 99 out of a hundred would prefer the former.

cheers M......

oh ok so your snakes are the same too?
sorry btw i posted this in chit chat accidentally - it probly should be in one of the herp forums

what is your enclosure set up like?
If he is holding onto branches with his tail and you are pulling him off them this would not make handling a pleasent experience for him.
My adivice would be if at all posssible make the enclosure as simple as possible so that you can get him out with ease. Once he is accustomed to handling you can snaz up the enclosure and hopefully by that stage he will be willing to comply when you choose to handle him.
Good luck!

Yes zoe most of ours are the same particulary the juvies.They do get better as they get bigger though.
Whaa is also correct in what he says however even with a plain enclosure they still dont like being handled much(as opposed to being left alone).

cheers

he's happy enough once out it's just the coming out thing. i don't yank him off the branch, he moves his head towards the branch while i'm moving away from it so he ends up letting go with his tail cos he's trying to move towards it hehe

Pretty much the same here Zoe. When that tail gets hooked around the branch it's trouble he he
I usually try and get a good grip at the front half of the snake and then slowly release the tail and she then gives up.
The easiest way is if they are in their hide -- then you can just lift them out, but they just love the branches. :)

Same here. Does get really annoying sometimes doesn't it!!!!!
Sim

Same with mine beauties. Only difference is that before they start to run out in the cage, they like to have my hand for lunch. They think that is feeding time.

Never had a problem wid my bredl - he slithers on my hand when I open the cage, but an NT carpet I been looking after for a couple of months wraps itself round a branch every time I take it out :)

mine are the same, and its the same for us....i would bite the head off anybody who tried to wake me up after a long night out :p

but seriously....i only have one snake that will willingly come out of the encloser and i have owned her for 2 1/2 years...but the rest, its a 10 minute struggle to untie all the parts to get em out...except of course the water python, who i dont give branches so i can pick her straight out.

cheers
STP

Yeah, mine are the same. When I get them out, I try to lift them by the back and front ends, which helps to stop any last minute "For the love of God, the giant hands are taking me away from my precious heat mat" grabs for the branch.
But then, when I try to put them back, all they want to do is climb back outside again. Stupid snakes! Lol :)

zoe wat ur experiencing is normal in juvanile snakes, my ones used to be like that but now they climb out onto me as soon as i open the enclosure

Mine are just about the same except for two exceptions. My two Olive pythons Roy and Pris each have their own enclosure. Whenever they see anyone moving outside their glass they come to the front. I open the glass and they will come out onto me almost every time. They actively seem to seek some kind of attention. It's just a real buz with these two.

My two bredli hang on to anything they can get but I counter that by touching their tail with my other hand and they will often let go. Just be gentle and persistent. I still get tagged by Bart most times but he seems to be getting the message I just Wanna be friends - glad his teeth are still small.

Snap on the other hand (Diamond) will try to do a runner as soon as she sees me so I have to be quick. Once out though she's a breeze.

Graham 8)

Mine pretty much all do the same, even my waters manage to grab the door or their hide. What works well for me is to just open the door and 90% of the time, they come out by themselves.

ok so the majority of snakes are the same then that's cool. :)
mine is the same as snap graham, he tries to do a runner or just get a good grip on something as soon as he sees me!

Yep, I'll add that mine are pretty much the same, the Coastal and the Diamond will generally hang onto their branches and resist being moved. If I really need to get to them I "tickle" their tail and this normally gets them moving so there is little trauma in removing them, but other wise, if there is no rush in getting to them, I just leave the door open and generally them will come out of their own accord. The little Mac also resists being taken out by trying to squirm away. The exception is my Olive, when you open up the enclosure, Clarice will normally come straight to you and climb onto your outstretched hand and up your arm.

Once outside though, all handle fine and most, especially Clarice don't want to go back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back