Healthy Goldfish to feed my Golden Tree Snake. How to minimise risk ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HonestPirate

Reaction score
Hiya

I have recently acquired a GTS girl, who feeds on 5 cm live goldfish. I have heard horror stories about over-medicated goldfish being fed to colubrids and killing them.

Does anyone with experience in this area have a fail-safe method to cleanse acquarium bought live fish in order to eliminate the risk ?

Would keeping a few fish in a tank of clean water with no chemicals and additives for a set time enable the fish to cleanse it's system of whatever crap the acquarium or fish breeders have fed them ? How long would be sufficient to keep them like this in order to clean them out ?

Would be great to hear from experienced GTS keepers or even people around the Brissie area to hear what you feed your GTS and where you purchase your feeders from. I would imagine acquarium water would have all sorts of added extras which may harm my girl.

Cheers.

Be so careful when feeding gold fish, I have heard / seen dozens of horror stories... it's a case of sooner or later....

Sorry for being off topic but why would you feed a tree snake fish?

I too have heard horror stories- hence the thread question and Snakeluvver3's advice re: a supplier of HEALTHY feeder fish. Anyone else seeking the link in future feel free to PM me and I will be more than happy to share it. Thanks again Snakeluvver !

I breed tree snakes every year and I feed them guppies or minnows to begin with and then get them on pinky mice and pinky rats I have never had a problem feeding pinkies to them as adults, just dont feed them anything with fur, but in the wild gts eat baby birds, frogs, geckoes and normally not fish, but hey if they eat em feed em

Best bet for trees is to go to www.livefish.com.au and buy a few mollies- in a two foot aquarium with a cheap filter they will continually breed (they are live bearers, so no worrying about eggs), they have no sharp spines, and they don't suffer from vitamin deficiencies like goldfish or carp.

Best bet for trees is to go to www.livefish.com.au and buy a few mollies- in a two foot aquarium with a cheap filter they will continually breed (they are live bearers, so no worrying about eggs), they have no sharp spines, and they don't suffer from vitamin deficiencies like goldfish or carp.
Pythonlegs, I sent him the feeder fish (50) link and two guppy links - one male and one female, all 3 from livefish.

I don't own a snake i was just wondering as maybe i could sell some i have to chuck them in a dam as there are too many in the tank

I don't own a snake i was just wondering as maybe i could sell some i have to chuck them in a dam as there are too many in the tank
No... no you don't have to chuck them in a dam.
That's introducing exotic species to our fragile environment.
Don't release ANY animals to our dams!
Sell them as PETS, not food. And if you are going to sell them as food, sell them for feeder fish for predatory fish/tree snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back