Heat chord basking rock as only great source Ok?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudgudgeon

Reaction score
Heat chord basking rock as only heat source Ok?

I am currently using a ceramic heat lamp as a heat source for my EWDs I am in the process of setting up a heated basking 'rock' using a heat chord and a slate tile.
If the basking rock is heated to around 35 degrees do I also still need the ceramic lamp? I have a UV light also.
I would prefer to get rid of the ceramic lamp. Is there any benefit for my lizards in having radiated heat from above vs radiated heat from a rock?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lizards should be heated from above not below, they bask in the sun. I wouldn't even be using a ceramic, rather a light that replicates sunlight and heat. Also, they can burn themselves on ground heat if it is too hot. 35c also seems a bit hot for an EWD. Your better off using radiant light on the basking rock and letting it heat up itself naturally.

Hmmm. I did start wondering about heat from above. I have watched wild water dragons sitting on warm rocks late in the day after the sun has dropped low in the sky, they search out warm rocks to sit on.
At the moment I am using a ceramic heat lamp and a UV A+B compact flute light.
They mostly sit under the UV light now, not do much under the ceramic lamp.
I am planning to make a new enclosure, it will be quite tall meaning it will be difficult to position a ceramic lamp close enough to a flat surface to create a basking spot without the ceramic lamp being visible.

Why not try halogen downlights, they give off a lot more heat for lower wattage and can be flush mounted . You can get gimble ones that can be aimed at different spots and get various different size beam angles, I am in the process of changing my enclosures over to them.

ivé had EWD's and beardies for a few years and after the 1st i switched all heating over to ceramics. my EWD female really didnt like any type of light heating, i found her on a couple of occasions climbing as high as she could in the enclosure, then launching herself at the heat globe until they blew. never had any trouble with ceramics tho.i also keep all my ceramics on 24/7, my dragons are always kept in 6+footx2x2 enclosures, so there is always a good gradient

heat cord underneath should create enough of a warm spot, only problem i would see is they like to go from water to the basking site alot, so you would need to be ably to clean under it often, and make sure it's water proof as i have seen some heat cords leave burn marks when they have been wet.

I have had my EWD girl for 4 years and always used a basking light and she always basks under it. Used a ceramic for my beardie for a while and he just kept sitting under the UV instead so i changed it to a spot light. Guess it depends on the lizard. Beardies I had before I always used a basking light as well. I only heat in the daytime for beardies and water dragons. I wouldn't think it was necessary in Sydney. The beardies are in a room that is heated over winter so it never really drops under 20 degrees, but not the water dragons.

I'd be wondering about them positioning themselves too...

with basking from above, they can get closer and further away...but if it's underneath, since they can't levitate ;) they'd only have the one option...

out of curiosity, what's the basking rock for? wouldn't your normal basking light just heat up the tile if it were underneath it?

my EWD's have two large rocks under their CHE, which they love to bask on, and a UV baton for light...they're usually either going for a swim (it's really cute haha), or sitting under their CHE.

I've recently change to a CHE for mine after blowing a few globe in succession. My hottest available basking spot is 38 C, however where she regularly basks is about 35 -36C. Belly heat is good for good digestion and that's why having rocks under the basking spot is important.

Thanks for the comments, all very helpful.
I am planning to build a new enclosure for my EWDs. It will be tall, approx 2metres top to bottom.
I was intending to use heat chord embedded in poly styrene rock wall to create basking spots on ledges and possibly on the floor also.
I don't expect a heat lamp or spot light to be very effective at creating basking spots on the floor, or low down on the walls without wasting a lot of energy.
Using heat chord will be far more energy efficient and give a greater heat gradient.
I think using lights or ceramics will use a stack more power and create a lot of general heat in the enclosure without creating good basking spots.
I am testing a heat chord at the moment before putting it in an enclosure. I have a 15 watt chord heating a piece of slate 250x300, it's been running for about 18hrs with the temperature sitting at 34 degrees.

If heat chords are used along with fluro UV light, will my EWDs be missing out on anything.

The way I am thinking of setting this up will give my EWDs a few different spots at different temperatures to choose a temperature that suits them

Last edited:
I would look at a vertical heat gradient for an enclosure so tall.
Mine is 4ft high and I have my gradient set up vertically and she uses all the available space in the enclosure.

Overhead heat is much more natural for animals that bask.I would only use overhead heat.They would be much better served by offering them an enclosure with a larger floor space as opposed to height.FYI it's cord.

Cool at the bottom, warmer at the top?

I'll have to some more testing and figure out the temperature of their favourite spots now.

What about adjustable halogen light fittings.You could mount them on a side wall/s at an appropriate height and point them wherever you wanted to create a basking spot on the floor,or on a raised platform.

:D
Overhead heat is much more natural for animals that bask.I would only use overhead heat.They would be much better served by offering them an enclosure with a larger floor space as opposed to height.FYI it's cord.

Thanks for the spelling tip.

Floor area will be as large as I have space for, approx 1500x900, I figure I will use as much vertical space I have available, they will definitely appreciate it.

Sounds like a combination of heat cord (no 'h') and heat lamp might work well.

i dont see a problem with heat cord used with a uvb fluro. if it was in a smaller enclosure, from the size of yours tho i think a couple of small halogen downlights would work a treat to , esp if you will be housing more than 1 EWD, then they can all have a warm spot without having to fight for it.

also looks like 900 is planning to be your narrowist length for the enclosure....just check your doorways to see if you can move it without dismantling,lol

I would be concerned that a fluoro tube will not provide adequate UVB for an enclosure of that size.
UVB output is at its strongest at up to 30cms away from the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back