Heat mats. Be aware!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason no one has mentioned this brand? I think people should be aware of which branded heat mat is failing. Or at least specify which brand it was in this particular occasion. If the company doesn't want negative advertisement, then produce a better product that does not fail

Rather than start a new thread, i'll bring this back to the top.

Being researching heat mats for my new click clack and found this thread which has kinda freaked me out a little. Are there any heat mats that you can recommend or that are less likely to do this?? A 4 metre heat cord is not reaaly that practical for heating one little click clack.

My plan is to buy one of the Habistat pulse proporional thermostats and use a heat mat until the little tacker (soon to be stimmie) is big enough to go into a larger enclosure, then i will set him up with ceramic heating, by buying a decent thermostat to start with i won't have to buy another one when the time comes. Make sense??

So is there a safer heat mat, or do i just have to run one through an earth leakage RCD (i think i will anyway) and hope for the best??

Look at the older ways of heating reptiles first

If we needed something to heat the bottom of an aquarium type viv we simply put the viv on two pieces of 4x2 and put a slate tile inside the viv
Then we put a small wattage light globe underneath the viv in the space made by the 4x2 and directly under the tile
Grab a babies thermometer off your missus and check the temp
usually a small size 20w light globe maintained a temperature of 30C

Absolutely nothing can go wrong with this system except for the bulb blowing every couple of years
No heat mat
No Thermostat
Cheap and easy to make
Very very safe for everyone
No electricals inside the viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back