Hello Everyone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just posting this as a quick intro, I'm new to keeping pythons but I've been in the reptile seen for many years, my main interest is Freshwater turtles. I've always wanted to keep a few small pythons and currently have a 10 month old Blonde spotted who had a very slow start in life. She hatched back on January 13 this year (according to her record card) that came with her from the store and when I acquired her on September 10th, she'd only shed 3 times and eaten 12 meals in her whole 9 month life (going by her record card) which is pretty ordinary. Since coming home with me, she's now shed twice already and has had 9 fuzzies since September 10 until last night. So you could say she/we are playing a little catch up! Next Wednesday I'll be picking up an 11 month old Stimson's and that, along with my current spotted will most likely fulfil my python cravings.

This little blonde is housed in a simple Sistema click-clack that I've made holes in with a soldering iron for ventilation with a double layer of paper towel on the bottom for substrate. The tub sits half on-half off a 10 watt heat mat. She has a cardboard roll from a clingwrap for a hide and a ceramic water dish which she can completely submerge in if necessary. I also made a small humidity hide for her out of a small Sistema tub by cutting a hole out of one side and half filling it with damp sphagnum moss and placing it on the warm side of her tub. She has successfully used the humid hide for both sheds she's had since I got her and overall I'd say she's pretty happy. I don't make a point of handling her unnecessarily, only when I need to clean her tub, I take her out for a few mins of sunshine.

I feed her a thawed frozen fuzzy in her tub just after dusk if I notice her actively prowling around.

The Stimson's I'm getting next Wednesday will be housed and cared for the same way.

Please feel free to give me any tips and pointers, I think you will be stunned at the size of my blonde spotted, given that it's 10 months old. But I cannot account for the care it got prior to coming to me.

If anyone out there has any questions about turtles (Australian species) feel free to fire away. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading many posts and seeing the photos of people's pythons on this forum.

Kind regards.
Kev.
20171028_102628.jpg
20171028_102636.jpg
20171028_102719.jpg
20171028_102750.jpg
20171028_102804.jpg
20171028_102815.jpg
20171028_102853.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, it's good to see an experienced turtle keeper on this forum. They appear to be underrepresented here. Looking forward to seeing your future posts.
Thanks for the welcome mate. I like the variety on this forum, even though it's called Aussie pythons and snakes, I've seen plenty of lizards and frogs. I've never kept lizards or monitors myself but I do have 6 Green Tree Frogs in an arboreal 2x2x3 enclosure. 4 are visible, 2 are hiding. Frogs are great but they make a racket at the most ungodly hours. LOL
2013-11-15.jpg

Turtles are my main focus though.
1388438339465.jpg

1388438413503.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to APS (officially, lol). That sticker should read "reptiles are addictive".
Thank you. Yeah reptiles are addictive but turtles... damn... to me, nothing is more adorable!

Emydura macquarii dharra
20150106_093049.jpg

Emydura macquarii krefftii
20150106_092753.jpg

Elusor macrurus
20150106_092509.jpg

Macrochelodina expansa
20150106_092636-1.jpg
☺☺☺

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back