Hello from around the world!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canadarob

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!!
My name is Rob, and I live in Canada... Winnipeg, Manitoba to be exact - it's right in the middle pretty much. I have been interested in animals from as far back as I remember, although I didn't purchase my first reptile until about 8 or 9 years ago (I'm 27 now). In Canada we do have regulations regarding the keeping of reptiles, and it varies by whichever province you come from. Importation/exportation is allowed (unlike Australia I think..?), so we do have a variety of captive born and bred pertiles available to us as herpetoculturalists. My first reptiles were a pair of 0.2 leopard geckos (Euplepharis macularis). I kept them by themselves for a number of years, then acquired a male, and they started breeding. Since then I have worked in many pet stores, and have since kept:
-lizards including leopard geckos, chinese/asian water dragons (physignathus cocincinus), green iguana (iguana iguana), and a brown anole (Anolis sagrei).
-ornate box turtles (terrapene carolina ornata)
-Mexican red knee tarantula (Brachypelma smithi)
-snakes include a variable kingsnake (Lampropeltis mexicana thayeri)
I currently keep madagascar giant day geckos (Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis), and I recently acquired 2 Australian pythons: Morelia bredli, and Antaresia childreni
One of my main reasons for joining this website was to get accurate information regarding the husbandry of these wonderful little snakes (even though the Children's is quite snappy!!)

Here's a pic of the bredli hanging out in his favorite place, the inside of a hollowed out Cholla cactus:
n504046478_345821_8939.jpg

This pic is from October, I don't have any current ones at the moment, he's about 75cm now.

As I'm sure you can understand, these snakes are very hard to find in Canada (I think there might be 3 people breeding them in the whole country).

I don't have pics of the Children's yet (just got her for Christmas), but she's about 70cm, so I'm pretty sure she's an adult!

I'll try to get some new photos though!

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say 'Hi', and I'll post more later!

Rob

Hi canadarob , welcome.
I keep Bredli & Childreni (amongst others) as well.

Hi and welcome to the forum, hope you get the information you want and more.

Hi everybody!!
My name is Rob, and I live in Canada... Winnipeg, Manitoba to be exact - it's right in the middle pretty much. Anyhoo, I just wanted to say 'Hi', and I'll post more later!
Rob

G'day Rob!! Great to meet another Winnipegger!! :shock: Wow I am shocked!:shock:

I am lucky enough to have immigrated here from Winnipeg in 1999!!! (St Adolphe actually) 18 kms south of Winnipeg!!
I met my (now) husband in my Mum and Dad's backyard along the Red River in '95. We had a long distance relationship until he moved to St Adolphe in Sept '96. He became known as the 'weird guy with a funny accent' who rode his bike to work even in -25C! We kept iguanas while in Canada. As a child I loved the Garter snakes!

Even though I am the HerpTrader, (you may have looked at my site from time to time?;)) my husband posts on APS by the name of 'herpTrader'.

Gee if you ever come downunder please let me know, I would love to meet you in person!!

We have our 3rd grandchild due in March in Winnipeg. Our son is hoping I come to visit, to meet the little one. We are just hoping they move downunder!

Great looking Bredli btw!

Take care, stay warm, Judy (aka herpTrader)

Last edited:
hello rob.
bredlis are the best pythons!
would it be rude to ask how much you paid for your australian pythons there? you said there were only 3 or so breeders so i would imagine the demand is large!
hope you enjoy the site!!
: ) bel

Hi Rob. Great pic of your Bredli. We have 2 young Bredli & they love their hollow logs too. Welcome to APS.

Welcome to the site canadarob! You have a cute looking Bredli there mate. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of her and your Childreni when it arrives!

Bel - CB babies sell for $800/pair, which is not super ridiculous, and the demand is not very large - Bredli are not well known in captive collections (yet). The only possible problem I see is that there is not much potential for outbreeding - with only a couple bloodlines, most of our animals will (probably) end up inbreeding.

Judy - St. Adolphe is just a short drive away! What are the chances ..... eh? (ha ha ha!) Going to Australia has always been a goal of mine, so if I'm headed down, I'll look you guys up for sure! The pictures of biking down the Red River are great! This last week has been very nice outside (only around -10), but over the weekend, we were back down to -35.... probably a little different than what you're getting right now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back