Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellissa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just joined this site yesterday. Great info on here.

I got my first snake, for that matter first reptile, on sunday. I'm a bit confused about her species, the pet shop seems to have confused it. They told me she was a liasis maculosa or spotted python. I googled that, because I wanted more specific info, and I found that a liasis maculosa is an eastern small blotched python and that a spotted python is anteresia maculosa (forgive my spelling if it wrong, early morning here).
Can someone maybe clear this up for me? Because if the pet store is wrong, then my licence is wrong too.

Anyways, she is very cute and is very tame. I've been bitten once, but that is because my mobile rang and must have startled her. The vibrations and all. I'm actually glad I got bitten, now I realise it doesn't hurt. She is only 2 months old, hatched on 16 of december. I was shaking like a leaf when I held her at the pet store. Certain family members were laughing at me, but those certain family members won't even touch her lol.

As far as feeding goes, should I feed her in the evening because she is nocturnal or is daytime ok? Also, the pet store said to feed only once a week or after she has had a poo and has no bulge. She was fed last friday, and she has done several poos and has no bulge. Should I make her wait until friday?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just that I'm also a fish person and I have had experience with pet stores and their advice. I think a lot of you wil know what I mean.

Thanka in advance
Mellissa

You don't need to worry Melissa. You are talking about the same snake there.. It's just that there are differences in opinions in terms of classification. I personally label them Antaresia... But I know some label them Liasis & still others Bothrochilus...

She sounds like a lovely little snake. Yep it's best that you don't feed her more than once a week. I feed my snakes during the day with no problems, but I do know of people that wait till night time to replicate their natural behaviour.

I hope you enjoy your time on the site - Welcome!!!

Chanty79

Thanks for that.

I thought that might have been the case, but I figured I was better off finding out for sure.

Mellissa

Hey mellissa... and just to double up on Chanty79, my spotted is labelled as liasis maculosa on my license. It puts her more in the class of the olive's so I don't mind :)

Congrats on your new snake and congrats on your first bite!

They make a great pet and grow very quickly - so make th emost of this cuteness!

Welcome Melissa, ask as many questions as you like here.

By the way, do you have any pics of your new snake???

Welcome, and hope your new little addition is the first of many!!!
They are VERY addictive!!

Hi and welcome to site Melissa! I just got a little female Mac as well, tiny litlee thing. about 300mm long. Compared to my BHPs this little girl is the attack snake from hell!! she's got me heaps. Also very flighty, i thought she was going to jump of my hand so i put her in her box and will leave her for week to settle down. Eats very Voracious. And fast mover. She had a smallfuzzy no prob. Just needs to calm a bit. How does this compare to yours??

Welcome to the site, as everyone has said, ask heaps of questions, helps everyone else learn, and the people in the know to show off their experience.

I haven't got any photos yet. Will try to get some on the weekend.

I haven't fed her yet. She was fed on friday at the store so I'm going to feed her this friday. They told me to feed her pinkies. She might need small fuzzies, because she has no bulge and has done a couple of poops. She's between 20 and 30cm long.
I think she is going to be placid, because as I said, she was fed on friday, and I held her on sunday and she wasn't snitchy at all. I've read that snakes can be a bit snitchy for a few days after feeding.

Should I dust her pinkies in reptivite before feeding or will they be ok without it?

Mellissa

No need to dust with any vitamin additives... Most people will warn you against such.

Just get your snake in the sun for around 15 minutes per week - it should be enouhg. I have never used vitamins and would never unless specifically instructed by a vet.

If I was you, throw away the reptivite... And feed good quality dead rodents!

Welcome to the site Mellissa. It all starts from the first snake!! or lizard,turtle etc

Here is a photo of Lucy the python. I don't know if she's male or female, so I just decided she was a girl :)

I'm the photographer in the family, but I'm also the only one who will hold Lucy, so this pic was taken by my husband.

She is so cool.

As for the vitamins, I bought them when I looked after a baby bearded dragon for a friend. I won't bother giving them to Lucy.

Attachments

• Picture 124.jpg
    Picture 124.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back