Help ID and question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hazzard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine went caving and Wombeyan caves on the weekend. I know they are not great pics but can anyone give me an ID on this!

Secondly she asked "Is it true snakes can't bite underwater"?

Please help me answer her questions.

I will give you all credit for it

Attachments

• Womby%20Feb%202007%20019.jpg
    Womby%20Feb%202007%20019.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Womby%20Feb%202007%20020.jpg
    Womby%20Feb%202007%20020.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 137
it looks like a Pseudonaja textilis - Eastern Brown Snake to me

Thanks, that was my first thoughts. It still has that juvenile pattern on it!

What about the question does anyone know?

eastern brown,possibly a western depending on where you live...??

without a doubt a brown snake species

land snakes cant bite underwater,but they can strike while swimming on top of the water

I know water dragons wont bite underwater but not sure on snakes as there are a lot of species that will eat tadpoles fish etc.

I wouldn't put the snakes can't bite underwater theory to the test.. You don't want to be the first person to find out that they can :)

i really have no idea, and have no idea where this place is that your freind saw it, but at first glance i thought it had markings like a taipan... but like i said im not overly confident with identifying most elapids yet....

example:
aus_townsville_snake_taipan.jpg

yeah its a brown snake (textilis) probably a yearling looking at that size..

:p

land snakes cant bite underwater,but they can strike while swimming on top of the water

You might want to have a look into that :D

I've personally observed Colletts, RBBS, Copperheads and Tigers that will not only hunt below the surface but will in fact nail fish and frogs underwater.

yeah, seen a doco on tasmanian tiger snakes, there was footage of the snakes catching fish underwater

Looking through H. G. Cogger there's a photo of a subadult eastern brown with very similar banding and similar head shape.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back