Help identifying snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh85

Reaction score
Hey, I was hoping someone could help me identify this snake I found on my driveway. I picked it up by the tail (because I wasn't sure if it was venomous or not - it DID try and bite at me though) and put it in a plastic bucket.

I was going to call the ranger or something and let them handle it but I figured since the national park is only a short walk down the street I would take it down and release it back into the wild.

Here are the photos:

4e2781d1.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

a236d9b4.jpg

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

ps. I live in Western Australia if that helps, not sure about what species are supposed to be around here.[/img]

I'm not up on brown snake taxonomy, but I'd say a dugite, Pseudonaja affinis, and it is seriously venomous. Be extremely careful in future if you're not an experienced handler!

Pete.

:shock:

i don' think there are any snakes with that colouration in WA other than dugites are there?

Bit of a risk mate if you are not used to handling venomous snakes.

yep...its a brownie....for everyone else if your not sure what it is leave it well alone....

It doesn't look all that big either......... bit of a risk to tail.

:p

Hix

!t IS a dugite - VERY dangerous - if you can't identify a snake - DON'T PICK IT UP... EVER! A dugite that size CAN kill you or at the very least cause you serious problems. Probably the commonest large snake in SW WA..

haha we went bush walking yesturday and i came across a few snakes... that looked like one we seen... slighly larger though, i assumed king brown so stayed right away from it... GENERALLY venomous snakes have larger scales and bigger bulgy eyes with that evil look, IMO if you dont know wht it is dont touch it

Re: RE: Help identifying snake

kwaka_80 said:
haha we went bush walking yesturday and i came across a few snakes... that looked like one we seen... slighly larger though, i assumed king brown so stayed right away from it... GENERALLY venomous snakes have larger scales and bigger bulgy eyes with that evil look, IMO if you dont know wht it is dont touch it

it wouldnt of been a king brown in noosa kwaka_80

RE: Re: RE: Help identifying snake

yep a dugite.
when i lived in WA for two years i tried to catch the one that lived out the front of my house.
then someone told what it was.
stopped that pretty quickly didnt i!!!

Re: RE: Help identifying snake

kwaka_80 said:

sounds like a fish :D

Not something I'd pick up by the tail. I'd rather be tagged by an adult scrubbie then get bitten by that little fella. On second thought's the scrubbie would hurt bad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back