help milii shed problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cturbosa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
recently brought another milii from a well known pet shop to go with my male, few days later after a good feed she started to shed, after 2 days of her partial she i started to worry and did some reading and tryed putting her in a tub with paper towl for a day didnt help at all so i decied to go with the removing it my self and did so removed over half of it with out hurting her but now were 5days later and shes still only half shed

had no issue with any of my other gecks but did notice this milii was a little dryer when she arrived and have had there tub moister than normal senice i see her sheding issue

have read that loads of gecks die from a bad shed so im realy worryed can any one else offer some asistance ?

I dont really have an answer but spritz under her hides aswell, as my male has never had a problem and always sheds under the same hide which i sprits under (if you already havnT) but someone that is more knowladgeable should be able to help out so

BUMPPPPP!!!

keep up daily misting the main thing is that the shed is not on its eyes.

Keeping the environment moist will help ...... as it digs around it will loosen the skin and it will fall off in its own time

the animal will also nibble at its extremities to loosen the skin

if its still showing unshed skin in a week I would suggest helping it out

thnxs guys its been 6 days now, this is the first time ive had any issue with them other all shed fine but as i said she wasnt in the best contion when she arrived, she did fly from vic to sa with a contecting flight to whyalla any one think that could cause issues being in a tub for 8hrs ?

its quite possible she may have also laid before you got her hence why she is a tad out of condition and also thats a long journey that could have added to the stress which resulted in a poor shed.

just keep spraying feeding and keep the temps up and you will be fine :)

its been a weel now, maily her head and tail that isnt shed as i picked most the others off few days back, whats your thoughts people try remove the rest my self ?

with my spotted the first 3 sheds were partial i used to just get a washer soak it in warm water and let it slither through the washer while i held the washer around it gently but firmly so as there was no real resistance when washer started to go cold i warmed it up again might not be the best way but worked for me

I had a similar problem. It can be a symptom of Metabolic Bone Disease so don't treat it as a simple, "it'll go away" type of thing. This occurs due to low levels of calcium and water.

When I had the problem, the gecko, also an Underwoodisaurus milii, first exhibited poor sheds. It is a terrible problem that occurs when calcium isn't absorbed and the conditions are too dry, thus a contributing factor to not being able to completely shed. Dehydration often follows and it is downhill after that unless action is taken. If nothing changes, it goes from poor shedding, to bad balance and walking, to spasms of the limbs and complete body seizures. It is a slow and agonizing death for the poor animal.

If the gecko is still feeding, your in luck and (provided it is the early signs of MBD), you could potentially turn it around. When mine had the problem, it was still feeding so I took several steps which, over two years later, has resulted in the gecko surviving. I increased the localised hot spot to no less than 30oC and kept it permanently moist, the humidity in there would have been extremely high. Of course, the gecko still had access to cooler and drier retreats but it did favour the warm and humid region. The water that was sprayed was mixed with calcium powder and every feed was dusted with calcium and multivitamins. These were simple husbandry changes that resulted in a relatively quick recovery.

I hope you aren't dealing with MBD but a friend of mine had the same problem and followed the techniques that I used and viola, the gecko in question is still alive today. I'm not saying it is definitely the only way to go about treating MBD but it has worked before.

:S ok doesnt sound good she did eat well for a few days and i only feed dusted woodies, ill keep with making sure she eats well

thnxs for all your help people

good news, she was still half shed but had been eating well on dusted woodies and now she re shed and the hole lot come off and she looks good again :) i was realy worryed i was gonna loose her for while there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back