HELP - my gecko is sick!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou Clairebear - after spending the last hour crying and feeling like an imcompetent fool... yes im anxious and its nice to hear you understand!

I will admit that it could be humidity - im not sure i have it under control...and no-one has answered that either (i put a post on here last weekend)....

If it was humidity - is it too late to fix it? - im thinking of every possible solution...

I dont beleive it is humidity...I dont supply mine with a water bowl..I only mist once a week...how is your hotspot..what temp is it at?? what sort of sand do you keep them on?It could have a sand impaction and it could have nothing to do with the mealworms

is a bit hard to say if it is to late for it but we can only try
If you put a drip of water on your finger and then on its lips see if it tries to lick it off do that a few times to get some fluid into it. then try a luke warm bath (do not cook it remember your finger is not as sensitive to the temps)
Have you been misting the walls of the enclosure for it to drink off? and what are your temps?
I lost my bynoe last night, I feel for you. As i said im no expert so if someone thinks i am give wrong info please speak out and try to help too.

I bought red desert sand from the local reptile shop... the temp with the mat usually stays around 26... i mist the tank (and gecks) more than once a week, as with the heat the sand tends to try out quickly....

I have turned the heat up slightly, and misted him some more... he is still opening his mouth - looks more like gasping for breath... and he is standing up on his front legs... back legs still dont seem too good... :S

Impaction is also possible does it throw its head around and look like it is drunk.

Is your heat mat under the whole tanks or just part so you have a hot and cool end

it wont be dehydration, your giving it plenty of water

heat mat - is under one section....

Yes - throws its head around like itd drunk... no attempt to walk anymore...onyl tried the once after i flipped it when he was on his back...

sounds like impaction/mbd to me. Will need to get something done before saturday. When did you nitice it looking like it is?

you need to be careful with dripping the water on it nose when it is in a stressed state..If it is labouring its breathing and you are trying to get it to take water by running it into its throat it could actually breath it into its lungs in this weakened state and do more harm then good..

i would email geckowrangler.com.au. the breeders there have years of experiance maybe they could help, good luck

OK - well... heres an update...

he either vomitted or pood out a mealworm - im assuming it vomitted as the mealworm still seems whole...

he isnt doing the mouth thing anymore... he had moved in the cage - but still does not look well....and his gut is half the size it was - prob the mealworm that was in there!

his back legs are curled up next to his body now - rather than stretched out... but he is laying funny and looks either sick, exhausted or lethargic... with his head down on the sand...

Does this mean progress?

probably pooed, mealworms exoskeleton doesnt get digested. When my little dragons legs culred under the body that was very close to the end

oh damn - half a second of hope shattered....

i think it is going to be a long night... if he was just backed up and how he has passed it - how long should i be expecting for him to recover - if he does.. .:(

I do realise that most of my questions are near impossible to answer... but im just after opinions...

I really hope it comes good for you..Best thing you can do now is make sure it has a nice hotspot to find and keep things nice and quiet and settled so it doesnt stress more then it already is...

thanks for allll your help!!

The anxiety levels half partially dropped... i guess we will see in the morning...

thank you for your support as well :)

i heard that meal worms can some times eat the stomach from the inside if not chewed properly by the animal don't know if it actually happens but, haven't had anything wrong with my geckos when i had them (only marbles) and i fed then meal worms every now and then but i no longer have them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back