Help my woma!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire_elise

Reaction score
I've just set up my woma enclosure, and it may be because my research skills are non existent, but I need some advice!

1. I have a heat pad but I keep getting conflicting advice... Do I keep it under the substrate (kritter krumbles - fine) or do I put it under the vivarium on the outside, even though it is a reptile one sabarru melamine enclosure?

2. If I can use the heat mat, is that enough heat or should I get a heat rock as well?
2a. Can I put the heat rock on top of the heat mat if it is in the enclosure?

3. The lighting cage in the sabarru is really small... What lights can I use to let me see my woma that will fit in that little box of mesh?

4. Do womas need a basking spot if they have a heat mat or rock depending on the answer to questions 1 and 2?

5. Do blue lights really not affect the snakes at night? Ie/ do they either not see it or think of it as moonlight?

I'm sorry to be asking such nOOb questions, but I thought it was better to ask then wind up with a sick/dead snake.

thanks guys!

Hi [MENTION=40033]Claire_elise[/MENTION],

1. Inside the enclosure with a ceramic tile on top is one good method.

2. How many watts is your heat mat? It should be sufficient to heat the enclosure if it's the correct size and on thermostat of course.

2a. Heat rocks aren't a good idea and are notorious for overheating and burning reptiles. I'd suggest staying away from them.

3. The mesh light cage is for a heat light instead of using a heat mat. If you use a red globe and put a tile on the floor of the enclosure you'll not need a heat mat and you'll be able to view your woma. Otherwise, LED lights are a good idea and work well but they are also very bright so if you go with that option make sure you get a remote with it to dim the lights.

4. Womas do well with a heated tile as a basking/hot spot. See above.

5. Someone with more specific knowledge may be able to shed more light (hehe pardon the pun) on this but it is my understanding that neither red or blue globes bother them. In a python enclosure the moonlight globes are mainly for the keeper's benefit as it doesn't emit a bright light like the red ones.

There are plenty of great threads on here addressing all the questions you've asked. Try out the search function - it's great :)

Looks like @Lawra has covered it all pretty well. You can put the heat mat under the enclosure or inside but in my opinion I am with Lawra about the inside with tile over method is best if practical because the timber will not transmit the heat very well. Big no on the heat rock but place a hide over the heat mat, the hide will keep the heat in and give the snake a secure spot to sleep/hide. As for the light situation snakes can see the same light as we can and it is the fact that red and blue lights are not as bright. A light will produce all colours of the spectrum and when seen together is white light, the glass will have something on or in it to filter the light and only allow certain colours of the spectrum through so there is less visible light getting to our or our snakes eyes.
Also what age is you woma?

Thanks so much @Lawra, you've helped hugely :D

And [MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION], he's a 3 year old W.A woma. He's about a meter and a half long, or maybe a bit longer. I'm so in love!

Thanks so much @Lawra, you've helped hugely :D

And @andynic07, he's a 3 year old W.A woma. He's about a meter and a half long, or maybe a bit longer. I'm so in love!
Cool , I was just checking to see if it was a hatchling I would suggest something different. You will have to post some pictures, I have a male woma about the same size and he is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back