Help to identify this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These ID threads never cease to amaze me.... or cease to provide endless amusement.

If you don't know --- DON"T GUESS.

well its not a lizard i know this because they have legs :lol:

It's a section of black irrigation pipe. Sheesh! Who taught you guys to ID! ... Oh, you mean't the other thing. Yeh, YFWS, see, it's crying and blushing at the same time!

I don’t wish to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here, however I do believe there needs to be some rules, written or otherwise, when it comes to snake or snake-like lizard ID’s. There are lots of possible scenarios to illustrate the importance of that. For example, imagine an incorrect ID given first up by someone not competent and the OP being a first-timer user of the forum. Happy that they have an answer the OP then tunes straight out. Even correct IDs may be problematic. For example, if a dark headed Delma is correctly identified with common and scientific names and described as a harmless legless lizard. There might be a problem if the OP then comes across a young brown snake. From memory it looks identical to the harmless legless lizard that was identified for them. What about the scenario where you have a correct ID given for a dangerously venomous snake and then one or more incorrect IDs are posted. This is often where you get the “keelback” posts or similar ridicule coming in. An unknowing OP reading this may take that to mean the correct ID was wrong and the snake is actually harmless because people are having a joke about it.

If we are going to offer identification advice to the general public involving snakes or snake-like animals, I believe we have a responsibility to ensure that the advice given is both correct and complete. Otherwise it should be passed directly to the relevant state museum. At the same time, I consider the forum is an appropriate vehicle by which to educate users about species identification of reptiles in general. To date, there has been little to no apparent resolution of how both sets of aims may be simultaneously attained... just people coming at it from their particular corner. Unfortunately I hold out little hope of change while users remain dug in and narrow of focus.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back