Help with a stowaway

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Damo. My brother and I both want to keep Barry for a couple reasons (my brother doesn't have a licsence)

1. He could easily get killed by our cats, wild birds etc.
2. He could affect the local frogs (not the same species)
3. In the 6yrs that we have lived on the coast we have never ever seen a Graceful Tree Frog, and we have a pond and everything. The pond at the park, which is 100m down the road, has heaps of little frogs none of which are Gracefuls, I can get a pic if need be.
lol i love how your trying to convince yourself on what your doing [ poaching/ taking from the wild] is fine .

So you'll dispute what multiple experienced herpers have told you, as well as people in the general local area? Just because you don't see them, does not mean they are not there. For example, if I never see a whip snake on my property, does it mean they don't exist here? Or if I cant see a shark in the ocean, they don't exist there either? Not having a go at you, just putting it into perspective. But, if you want to use that excuse to justify keeping them, nothing we say can stop you! People have already explained that side of things to you.

Are you following the minimum standards? (copied from the DERM website)

A person must not take any species of amphibian from the wild without a sound knowledge of the particular requirements of that species in captivity.
Amphibians should only be taken from areas where the species exists in abundant and secure populations, rather than from areas with fragmented or remnant populations.
• Collectors must collect amphibians in a way that avoids damage to the animals themselves, their population and their habitat. In particular, collectors should avoid destructive collecting practices such as damaging, turning or lifting rocks or vegetation.
• Not all amphibians are suitable for captivity. Some individuals within a species may be more susceptible to stress than others. Subject to any specific requirements about the release of wildlife to the wild, any animal showing excessive signs of stress must be returned to the original place of collection.
Repatriation of Australia’s native amphibians are threatened by a pathogenic fungus, Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, known as amphibian chytrid fungus, which causes the progeny infection known as chytridiomycosis. Keepers must be aware of this disease and its symptoms and have an intimate knowledge of the Threat Abatement Plan – “Infection of amphibians with chytrid fungus resulting in chytridiomycosis” developed by the Australian Department of Environment and Heritage under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 when considering taking wild amphibians.

L0L i love how reptile keeper's cry bloody murder if someone wants to keep a frog, do they not realise all reptiles came from the wild...if you are against reptiles being taken from the wild IM0 do not keep them at all as all of them came from there some just more recently than others.
Some people need to work out the difference between what is moral and what is legal, keeping with a license is legal but not any more moral than those without a licence.

so u can pretty well poach from the wild - well up to 8 frogs anyway?
just because u dont need a license for it , duznt mean its ok to catch and keep frogs .

While I'm not advocating catching and keeping animals of any description this above statement (as the same as many similar) appears slightly hypocritical.

Every animal we (as a collective) keep is either or has originated from wild caught specimens.

u know what , im done with this . the op knows its wrong [ read his first post] but yet is still going to keep it . good luck

L0L i love how reptile keeper's cry bloody murder if someone wants to keep a frog, do they not realise all reptiles came from the wild...if you are against reptiles being taken from the wild IM0 do not keep them at all as all of them came from there some just more recently than others.
Some people need to work out the difference between what is moral and what is legal, keeping with a license is legal but not any more moral than those without a licence.

How is legally keeping captive bred animals on the same moral level as illegally taking something from the wild?

When we lived at Balina we never saw one at our house but could hear their throaty call on occasion during thunderstorms but a mate who lived near the canal system used to have one that would hang off his front door. They will be around the area somewhere but it sounds like you have already decided to keep it and the rest of these posts are just a justification of that choice. You can legally keep it or you can let it go.

Actually you cannot legally have it at the premises if you have a license. You are only allowed to have a wild frog if you do not have a permit at that address....sorry the "it's my brothers will not wash".

Cheers,
Scott

You know the easiest thing to do is RING your local NPWS/Licensing guys and tell them what has happened and what you should do about it. That way there is no more speculation, ifs or buts.

I'll contact DERM later today

I talked with my parents and they decided that we should let Barry go down at the park, there's a pond a plenty of suitable habitat.

And that's the story of Barry the frog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back