Help with Henrylawsoni

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greeny06

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys (and girls) got a question for anyone that may be able to help. I have 4x Henrylawsoni dragons and am having some problems. About 2 months ago we had issues with one of them not eating and was having to be force/assist fed every day. He was taken to a vet who advised to give him Baycox and wormout, the vet also advised to treat the other three as well even though they weren't showing symptoms and were all eating well. Since treating the 4 dragons, 3 are now refusing to eat anything except mealworms and require assist feeding to get them to eat anything else. I have taken them to another vet who suggested to withhold food for three days before trying again which didn't work. All three have gotten yellow mouths and tongues since the treatment which apparently means liver problems. Any ideas on treatment or even diagnosis would be really helpful as we're running out of ideas.

Received the dragons in March making them about 8-9 months old.
Had them for 6 months
months 1-2: all four ate well: crickets, meal worms, veges, lettuce etc
months 3-4: 1 dragon refused to eat assist fed once/twice daily, other 3 continued without problem. All four treated with Baycox and wormout at end of 4th month
months 5-6: 1 dragon eats without problem. Other 3 refuse to eat anything except meal worms and require assist feeding once/twice daily.
3 of the 4 dragons are showing yellow mouths and tongues, and are smaller than the 4th.
I live in Darwin so winters aren't really a factor, however we have 50w basking lights on all dragons, plus uv lights. All four are in identical conditions as they are in two tanks, each with a divider in them so all four dragons are kept separate from each other

I'd say it's possible they may hve gotten an allergi reaction from
the medicine and it actually made things worse,but I don't know.. There's nothing you can do except go to another vet and explain the sit jst like u did here and hopefully they know whst there on about and can help.. Or maybe even a breeder/expert on them.. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,wish I could.. Feel sorry for the little guys and I know I anything happened to mine I'd be devastated.. But atleast ur doing everythig u can
hope it works out for the best

Problem with Darwin is that there's really only one guy to go to that "specializes" in lizards. And he's the one that prescribed the medicine that caused the problem in the first place. Plenty of people up here keep snakes and lizards as pets but there's no vets that can honestly say they have a reptile "expert" I've had to go to one of the better vet clinics to ID a snake that had been handed in, so that's what we're dealing with.

when i got my first 2 centrals, i had them for a couple of months, then noticed 1 had pinworms (wriggling in her poo)
i called a vet, (before i found my proper herp vet) who laughed and said not to bring them in, just get a wormer and follow the dose,..which i did.

the 1 with worms was fine, the other went from perfectly healthy to not eating, within a week she started getting limp and was assist fed.

i assist fed her fro 6 months and she did not gain a single gram.

i told to try a probiotic, added that to her daily mush, and within a week she was smashing roaches again,....within a few months she had caught up wtih the other one.

so i recommend you try that,....

i used a dairy free powdered one fro humans,....

good luck,...!!

Maybe try a bit of outdoor time, natural sunshine does wonders for lathergic/ fussy beardies, beardies will often have a stage where they'll go off certain foods. I can't give much advice on any underlying health issues but I have a few tips to get them off mealies
Try cutting one end off a mealie, squeeze out all the inside(gross i know) and stuff a matchstick size piece of carrot in its place, this may help give them a taste for salad again.
Another trick i've used its to cut carrot and pumpkin into mealworm sized matchsticks and hide a few mealies amongst them in their bowl.
I third trick that I've come up with is to cut the same veg as little hockey stick shape (straight with a small dogleg), grab the short 'bent' end and roll it between your hands to make it spin, this makes the carrot or pumpkin look like a squirming mealie, hand feed a mealie, then sub in the 'veg worm' and they'll have it down before they realise the difference HTH

Next one for you. What signs/symptoms do lizards show when they are too hot? I'm wondering whether our cage temps are too hot for the guys

Open mouth, just like a dog panting, spending alot of time on the cool side is also a dead giveaway

What are your temps? basking spot, warm end and cool end

Basking spot was around the 40 ish down to 31 at the other end. Before you blast me about it being too hot at the same time the tiles in my lounge room measured 30 so cage temp is relative to outside temps.

i dont know if this will help but the pogona henrylawsoni usually have yellow mouths and tongues naturally.

can you post a picture mate. I will compare them with my lawsoni

these pics are not very recent but they still look the same now hope it helps.

Attachments

• coopjuly2010 027.jpg
    coopjuly2010 027.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 82
  • coopjuly2010 037.jpg
    coopjuly2010 037.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back