Help with new beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclyndaniel

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I have this beardie here which I need an ID for im thinking its a Eastern Beardie but im not quite sure
I just got him today and the seller said that he was tamed and could be handled.
I went to handle him but at first all he did was run away and then he started hissing like he was going to have me.
Im going to let him settle in now for a few days but any ideas?
Hes apparently about 4 years old. Heres some pics so you have an idea of what he looks like
Any tips would be good, so i can get to handling him soon
Cheers
JAC

Come on guys someone must have advice​

Attachments

• IMG_0531[1].jpg
    IMG_0531[1].jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0532[1].jpg
    IMG_0532[1].jpg
    113 KB · Views: 43
aww, what a handsome lad!!

and yes, it would be a good idea to be careful when approaching,...

so, when you do approach him, do it slowly,...and approach him from the front, but reach around to his butt end to actually pick him up since he looks like hes keen fro a nibble,...

once hes out, hold him against your chest and put a hand over his back so he feels safe and secure, do this till he calms down, then put him back.

do this a few times a day, when hes crashing at night, lie on the lounge wth hiim and stroke his back.

i got a 2 year old about a year ago that was so psycho she would just back herself in a corner, mouth open ready to attack, id never seen anything like it!! she was too busy being defensive to even eat,...so offereing food wasnt an option. i knew that befoer i took her tho as her previous owner said she'd been like that since hatching.

this girl is now the sweetest mummy loving creature, no more flaring,...and thats the approach i took, along with baths every morning,...it was a slow process, by the 6 month mark she was flaring irregulary, but still keen to have a go from time to time, now shes good as gold, climbs over the other beardies to climb me, and goes straight around to sit between my shoulder blades where she knows i cant remove her,.. :p

i babysit dragons from time to time and have dealt with aggression in them the same way, the owners cant believe how awesome their dragons are after a couple of weeks when they pick em up! :)

oh, and from what i can tell from the second pic id agree with eastern, if you get a shot from directly above it will be easier to tell since the head shape and row of spikes at the back are different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back