Herdsman lake - Tiger + longneck

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noxious

Reaction score
Went for a walk with my girlfriend around Herdsman lake today. Had to take my camera along as I knew their would be a good chance of spotting some reptiles. It didn't let me down!

Firstly. Came across a couple taking photos of this tiger. Got a bit closer to take some better pics and realised it was dead! shame! actually took me about 10 or so shots to think wait a minute. He doesn't look to lively...

tiger2.jpg

tiger-1.jpg

tiger3.jpg

Flicked him over to get a shot of his belly -

tiger3.jpg

Took a few birds pics. Should have taken more. But here is just one -

bird.jpg

Was lucky enough to spot a long neck laying some eggs! only about 3 feet from the pathway - didn't want too scare her so didn't take too many pics. What was strange is that I found one of her eggs about 2 feet away from her not in the hole, anyone have any theories on this? possibly startled and laid one somewhere else? not sure.

turtle3.jpg

turtle2.jpg

turtle-1.jpg

egg.jpg

Alex

Their were no puncture wounds on it. So I don't think it was a dog or cat. Most likely cause I would say is that someone beat it to death with something... very sad.

Couldn't find an edit button to get rid of the picture I posted twice?

If one of the mods could remove one of them that would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

have you got cane toads that far yet? That would kill a snake very quickly,

you guys r so lucky i need to travel hours to go somewhere that reptiles are, you guys jus walk throiugh the park

On a side note. I see ALOT of people walking their dogs through herdsman lake. I think this is wrong on a number of levels.

1. it disturbs the wildlife when dogs go running through the reeds and sniffing around.
2. A bite from a tiger snake isn't the most pleasant exprience for a dog.

Last season I went walking around from 6 - 8 pm one night and spotted 8 tigers!

Noxious- I was going to say the same thing- we went geocaching there last summer, and saw ssssooooo many tiger snakes- they are common as around there.

We just lost our little dog gryphon to a snake bite- we think it was a dugite- gotta make some calls and get someone out to find out where it lives (somewhere in our backyard) and take it to somewhere new- I have another dog, and I'm worried he's going to be bitten too....and he's not a dog you can let in the house- so thats not an option!

If we went walking the dog- we never allow them off the leashes into bushes and stuff...who knows what lurks there, and what damage our doggies could do to a turtle like that one...among other wildlife.

I have two dogs that I walk regularly. When I walk them I take them to an open park where they can run around NOT to a tiger snake infested wetland. Maybe people just don't know, or maybe they don't care.

Yesterday I saw a bloke with two unleashed german shep's running through all the reeds barking at birds etc. I had a word to the bloke that almost ended up in a punch up. I hope a snake bites him and not his dogs.

ps - sorry to hear about your dog. Always very hard losing a friend. You are the 4th person I know/ know of that has lost a dog due to snake bite this season.

Its my daughter who's devastated- Gryphon was her dog- she's very upset....especially since its been nearly six months since she got to play with him (she's been in foster care since May-still is). So I had to break the news to her on a visit- didn't go down to well.

Apparenlty already this season there has been a surge in the amount of snake bites on animals...hopefully it slows down at some point.

I would have said to the guy 'if you want to end up with dead dogs- keep it up mate!'. Or something similar- maybe less politely than that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back