Hermit crabs cage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imalizard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
At the moment i have 3 in a tank and it is a good size for 3 but i want to get more. I have a good box type thing that can be turned into a cage for them. I need to cut a hole in the front and put this wire of this i 1cmwide and 1cm high. Is that enough for them to get out.

I think they will be ok but i didnt want escaped hermits crabs in my house.

The wire is 1cm wide and 1cm high, is that small enough so they dont go through?

I gave you a pm.... give me a call...
i have something you can use for your h/crabs...its 3ft long!!!!!

3 ft! WOW! i dont have much money lol how much?

i might be coming over this weekend or the next.

Hermies are better in a glass tank with a lid, not mesh. They really like a high humidity. I keep 4 in 60cm by 30cm by 40 cm tank (60 gallon I think) but if I added a second layer I could add another 4.

Ok how many would you say could be kept in a 3ft tank??

Ok how many would you say could be kept in a 3ft tank??

That's about a metre? I'd say a dozen comfortably. Maybe a few more. Make sure the sand is nice and thick - at least 10 cm and damp (sandcastle consistency). And build second levels - hermies love to climb - coco fibre is great for that, mine spend most of their time either buried below ground or climbing near the tank lid. If you are getting that many - make sure you have a large variety of spare shells available!

i read on a couple of sites that they need to be kept warm and then on others sites they say have a wet enviroment. Witch one is right?

That's about a metre? I'd say a dozen comfortably. Maybe a few more. Make sure the sand is nice and thick - at least 10 cm and damp (sandcastle consistency). And build second levels - hermies love to climb - coco fibre is great for that, mine spend most of their time either buried below ground or climbing near the tank lid. If you are getting that many - make sure you have a large variety of spare shells available!

Thanks for that i was thinking about 10

Warm temps and high humidity. You're best to buy a hygrometer and make sure the humidity is high. They don't like wet sand but it should be damp as they like to burrow and dig tunnels. Make sure they also have ready access to both fresh and salt water. A sea sponge in the water bowls will increase the humidity in the tank.

Ah ok thanks for all the advise. Cant wait intill i get some more!

By second level do you mean have the sand say 10cm and then 15cm?

Hello again, thanks for the tank again, cant wait to pick it up and see your herps. I went on a hermit crab forum and i worked out what a second level was. It is like a shelf, or you can hang a fishing net and make a second level.

The hermit crab forum helped me lots! I think i have everything covered.

Lesa.....did you mean a second level= a shelf?

bump for more info for Imalizard

Shelf or basket. Coco fibre makes great matting. There doesn't need to be sand on the second level. My guys have a cocofibre climbing wall, some old crab pot mesh and a basket to hang around in. They spend a lot of time climbing around. I hide food treats or worm castings in the basket to make it more interesting for them.

Could you put some pics up for Imalizard... its quite intriguing!!!!
if not it sounds like you have given him great ideas! thankyou Lesa

Imalizard.... yes it would be nice to show someone my ,sorry & my sons tribe...
Mr.Merlin wants a cuddle!

No probs. It's nothing exciting nearly everything came from one of the "cheap shops" like Flash Harry's.

Attachments

• DSC07250.JPG
    DSC07250.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC07252.JPG
    DSC07252.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 48
Wow , great set up there! It looks really good. You have given me lots of ideas. .next saturday i think it will be ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back