Hermit crabs cage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hermies are better in a glass tank with a lid, not mesh. They really like a high humidity. I keep 4 in 60cm by 30cm by 40 cm tank (60 gallon I think) but if I added a second layer I could add another 4.

How come its 60 gallons? is it 60cm width 40cm depth 30cm height?

I think (can't be a 100% sure) but that's what the pet shop told me it was (obviously if you fill it with water). The cm measurements are its length, width and height.

72 litre, which is approximately 18.51 U.S. gallons. BUt it might be different in Australia. I might be 60 gallons but it doesnt quite look it.

We are of to get the tank. Bye, will take a photo of it when its back home.

I know the cm measurements are correct but the 60gallon bit is just a guess at a memory. Maybe it was 60L????

who know... its a good size tank any way. I got the tank but we arent doing anything with it untill tomorrow.

Great to see you both!..,glad you liked the tank!
Sorry Mr.Merlin scared your Mum...lol, Diva sure liked her....
cant wait to you finish with it & put pics up
might get you to teach me sometime how to do that,lol!!!

Hi, Long time hermit crab owner and moderator on hermit crab paradise and crabstreet journal here! I have owned hermit crabs for about 7 years now. I am forever giving out caresheets to petstores in adelaide, many welcome my suggestions many dislike my input. I have written a care book and devised a list of hermit crab food with other hermit crab owners in the US. I only use organically friendly foods and make all of my hermit crab food from scratch. (I am at the stage where I am trying to sell it) First i need the food lab analysed. ($1000 a sample)

from the looks of your tank it seems to only be a 20 gal at the most. The measurements we use for out tanks are the same as the US for volume! A 4ft is approx 50 gal. I have 1 six ft, a four ft and 2 two ft tanks for my crabs. (I have 25 crabs) and they keep you on your feet!

They require alot more care than most people realise! I started with two and fell in love with them! I like to think i have a passion for them! I spend about 2 hours a day tending to their needs and even more on weekends when i am on the look out for more ornaments and ideas to keep them interested and well exercised. This even involves their 3hr playtime in an old shell pool, which is covered with a layer of sand and decorated with driftwood, coral lots of seashells (other than the ones that go in the tank, and my homemade gym course, and their hermit crab spa. (a large reptile water bowl filled with instant ocean water and a fish tank pump!

I truly spoil them. But thats my obsession!

If you need help give us a yell!

Cheers

Sam

My excitement was just ruined. My mum and dad said that they are going to fix the bottom of the tank up and put our 2 turtles in it. :(

hey guys just saw the bit where you were working out litre / gallon size for the tank... Thought you might like the formula for calulating it..

Length (cm) x Depth (cm) x Height (cm) = Total

Then....

Total / 1000 = Litre capacity

The old turtle tank was 10 gallons. It only held 2 baby turtles. I wont ne able to get many hermit crabs but at least there tnak will get upgraded a bit.

A 10G tank is still more then enough for hermit crabs. A 10G tank should work out to have dimensions of 60cmx30cmx30cm, which i would say could hold 4-5 hermit crabs with ease. What i was told to use at a petshop was chicken wire walls inside the tank. Basically get a roll of chicken wire trim the edges so as to remove sharp bits and then place it in the tank so the hermit crabs can climb.

HaHa, i convince my mum and dad to let me have the tank for hermits. I only have 1 in there at the moment but soon to be more.

you got them around your little finger.....your parents that is!
i hear you dobbed me in with one of my tanks!.....its cool.....i will try to get some pics up! lol
should of got you to show me how...dont bother telling me ..im hopeless!

Hehe., yes i did dobb. I thought your tank was so big and it was very cool. When i got hoem i asked my mum if i could get one and she said yeah right.

breed your lizards....look after them well...let them buy their own feed by selling their offspring, then save the profit & invest in them
...within the year ..you should have enough to get a smaller one ,like hope is in.... its a good start...!
it all takes time!!!

Tank
S6301304.jpg

Added the sand
S6301310.jpg

Added stuff to one side
S6301311.jpg

Top view of right side
S6301312.jpg

S6301315.jpg

S6301316.jpg

Status