Hermit crabs cage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest pictures
S6301319.jpg

S6301320.jpg

S6301321.jpg

Great stuff....i think you had those pics ready! huh!!!!

very nice secondary layer....hope thats the right terms! lol

hi its dragon lady's son....
great use of the aquarium looks great hope your hermit crabs have fun.......................

hey was just checking out your set up... looks great! But is the gladwrap on top permanent? Only reason I ask is because its not going to allow any ventilation to cut down on smells etc, glass lids would be more suitable as they will have small gaps at the sides, or even a mesh/wood lid would be suitable (a certain amount of humidity will still be present, but not as much smell) .. Also the crabs will learn to climb up the silicone in the corners of the tank and will pull the gladwrap down when they grab it, then they will have something nice and easy to use to climb out! I've seen similar things happen before and its not fun trying to track down hermit crabs around the house :p

Is that were my hermits are? I cant find them and i think they are int he sand somewhere.

Personally, I'd refrain from making my own enclosure as hermit crabs are great escape artists and can climb better than you think...

Buy a $15 plastic tank from a cheap store?
Buy a 2nd hand fish tank?
Improvise?
Think for yourself?

I bought a small plastic one for my spider, that's about 25cm long x 15cm long. Has a lid with ventilation but no escapees.. I'm fairly sure you could keep a little hermit crab happy in that if you give it lots of climbing equipment.
Have you researched?

I just checked page 3 and that looks great! I meant don't make one yourself from scratch. They'll love that.

I know lots about hermit crabs. Im even apart of a forum about them. I was asking what to do because you said they could climb up the side of the glass. I dont need to buy another tank as this one is good. On the hermit crab forum they said to have 90% cling wrap over the tank to keep humidity in.

Now my issue with your tank is Imalizard is that your sand seems a bit too damp for hermit crabs and I also belive that you tank seems very bare! Do you have any other fish tank ornaments which you can use to make your tank more interesting for your hermit crabs!

Sorry if i seem rude! I have kept hermit crabs for about 7 years now, I started out not knowing mcuh about them but after many years of research i have found that a tank that provides your crabs with pleny of areas to climb and hide keep them much more content with thier enviroment. In the wild crabs are known to walk upto 5 kms in a night. I always ensure the tank is spot cleaned every day, and I rearrange the arnaments and clean the ornaments every week.

I will post a picture of my tanks soon to give you an idea of my tanks.

Now I am also admin on several hermit crab forums so if you have any questions i am happy to help out with your queries.

Cheers

Sam

ok thanks, yes it is bare lol. I havent seen the hermit crabs for awhile now so i think they are in molt.

Its not to mosit its dry but good enough for tunnels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back