Herping help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seumas12345

Reaction score
I want to make this thread so that some of the pros can give their tips on how to be successful in herping in the bush! Give us some ideas as to what to wear, what equipment we need, good times to herp (day and also year times), and anything else they can think of.
Cheers

I went out last night at 10pm to Holmes Jungle.... and found nothing LOL I walked around the rainforest for about an hour and didn't see a thing..... LOL I found one frog and a couple of spiders hahaha! I was too frustrated!

I used to live in darwin. Casuarina beach foreshore is great at night. Found monitors, skinks, frogs, cane toads and Darwin Carpet Pythons. Just make sure u take your aeroguard or u get eaten alive.

The best way to learn about herping is spending several years walking around the bush, wondering why animals are here, but not there, then slowly, you piece it all together and it makes sense, or if your lazy and good with people, join a herp society, meet people, work out who the good herpers are, spend several years gaining there trust and they might take you out.. personally, I recommend a combination of both.
But I will give you one tip, If your night herping.... go to any length and cost to get the best lighting you can manage...not just the best torch the local hardware had.

Oh and go for a walk through Charles Darwin National Park, lots of monitors. Also another place is the bushland before channel island bridge.

3411154000_9de47798ca.jpg

Everywhere marked yellow i have seen heaps of herps. Thats in close proximity to darwin that is.

Bigger version of map here -----> http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3390/3411154000_9de47798ca_b.jpg

What to wear?? I suggest a pair of Jeans... Good Solid hiking Boots.... and a shirt to suit the conditions..

What to take...Torch.....Drink Bottle ( Water based preferably ) Small First Aid Kit... Mobile.... Hook... And Camera.....

I dont know Darwin at all..So cant make any suggestions..Sorry

I don't go herping in darwin but all i would suggest is getting out there. Go for a night drive on some dirt tracks or the less used roads through the bush and keep a diary of weather, moon phase, humidity and temperature.

And do not take a hook. It makes you want to catch everything you see which is illegal and very dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back