Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look around the Dandenongs for White-lips regularly but haven’t seen any for a while, used to see a lot around Boronia Heights and Montrose...a common snake that will sure turn up soon elsewhere
Seen a lot of Small-eyed Snakes in the northern part of Dandenongs, that’s what your 'Black snakes with a reddish-creamy belly' could be Naga_Kanya
Other good spots around Melbourne include Lysterfield Lake Park (many snakes, Blueys, Jackys, many other skinks sp, and good for frogs too) and the Basalt plains area west and northwest of Melbourne (heaps of Brown Snakes and some different species than the east)
Recently discovered Pseudemoia rawlinsoni (Swampland Tussock Skink) near Dandenong Creek in degraded habitat in the outer eastern suburbs, so it’s even worth checking out small reserves and other vacant land.

Elapo,

Pseudemoia rawlinsoni are quite common in a number of places on Melbournes fringe. They tend to be pretty localised though.

Cheers,
Scott

Jackys, Frogs, Blueys and some elapidae, what else would I want to find?

Anywhere past Moe and through to Marlo. Rbb's, copperheads, Gwd's, White lips, tigers, Lacies, Mountain dragons, jackies, blues, stumpies, southern leaf green tree frogs, and a @$#%load more.

This thread is just getting more and more exciting.
I'm having an issue with photos but watch out when I get it happening again!
Yesty and the day before I went herping in Moriac and found heaps of Southern Brown Tree Frogs, Marsh Frogs, little froglet things and various skinks. I'm sure there would be snakes and blueys and other things in there. Had the time of my life. There was just an abundance of wildlife.
So keen to meet up with people from here.

Scott

This very small population was in an area not previously recorded for the species according to Nick Clemann who has been doing reserach on herpetofauna in the area said that none had been recorded there previously and was not in the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife database, another skink Lissolepis (Egernia) coventryi was rediscovered in the same general area, some time ago, although a few kilometres away.
I even found a P. rawlinsoni in our backyard in the 1990s which was really surprising, it is also really surprising that this small population is still hanging on in the area I found it- heavily degraded cleared vacant land with a lot of hard rubbish around, unfortunately development is in place for the site but there is a small conservation reserve nearby...I have also seen then in outer north of Melbourne.
Its not that surprising that they occur in this area near Dandenong Creek as it would have originally been suitable habitat for the species, and other populations probably occur nearby.

Darren

Elapo,

Pseudemoia rawlinsoni are quite common in a number of places on Melbournes fringe. They tend to be pretty localised though.

Cheers,
Scott

Yeh this thread is getting exciting, thanx to Snakeluvver3 for starting the thread, good to see Victoria get some attention
Will be creating a post of a few pics of some herps I’ve photographed around Victoria in the next few weeks
If anyone is interested in meeting up for some field herping around Melbourne and further a field send me a message and we’ll organise sumthin, probably would be better more towards spring when its startin to warm up and there is more action

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back