Herping on bikes! (Lacie pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetangel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my bf and his friend go out riding on their little thumpster motor bikes up at Redhill Reserve in Narabeen and they said they find lots of laceies. So today i decided to go along for a ride!
I so cant ride by the way lol.
But yeah we found quite a few today. Camt44 is my bf's friend and he found 1 huge one. unfortunately before we could get back to it another bike had gone past and it ran off.
Then on the way home we found 2. One smallish one about 80cm on the ground. i think it had been digging in a nearby ant nest. and one much larger patterned one up the tree right next to the small one.
here are the pics.

the bikes
IMG_7473.jpg

small lacie
IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7493.jpg

IMG_7496.jpg

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7507.jpg

IMG_7513.jpg

the big fella in the tree

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7515.jpg

so yeah hope you enjoy.
just one more question, are they laceies or heath monitors.... i thought the small one looked like a heath monitor but i'm not sure. im guessing lacy for both?

cheers

forgot to mention this was my first wild herp encounter since i have really been loving reptiles :) so i was super excited!!

Not bad going, you spotted both species of goanna found in Sydney on the same day. The little one on the ground is a heath goanna, Varanus rosenbergi, and the one in the tree is a lace goanna, Varanus varius. Heath goannas nest at this time of year, which is why she was digging in a termite mound (not an ant nest).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back