Herping pics (dialup warning)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Went looking for snakes with naivepom and found a couple, though no water pythons :( I quite liked the brown tree snake, I was surprised with how big it was (didn't realise bts's got that big)

Could someone also ID the first snake?
unknown2bord.jpg

unknown1bord.jpg

frog1bord.jpg

burrowingfrog1bord.jpg

blind4bordwater.jpg

blind3bordwater.jpg

blind2bordwater.jpg

Blind1bordwater.jpg

BTS2brdwater.jpg

BTS4bordwater.jpg

BTS1brdwater.jpg

BTS3brdwater.jpg

BTS6brdwater.jpg

BTS7bordwater.jpg

BTS5brdwater.jpg

BTS12brdwater.jpg

BTS11brdwater.jpg

BTS10bordwater.jpg

Demansia Vestigiata (Lesser Black Whip Snake)

(Could be wrong tho)

Wow Laura your camera skills have gone from great to outstanding.
Amazings photos.
As for the ID, its a Lesser Black Whipsnake (Demansia vestigiata)

I was looking up the whip snakes and thought it looked rather like the black whip/lesser black whip. Wasn't sure though so thought I'd ask

Ryan, the whip was just on the edge of the road at night, yeah. would have been about 8ish at a rough guess?

thanks for the compliments andy :D

never heard of that before, sounds cool. yer agree with them two on the ID, people try finding them on the sunshine coast there is a spot for them were they can be found, but I would just head up north to where there more common :lol: (being lazy) thanks.

There are a few spots in T'ville where you will find the whip's pretty commonly, but getting them to stay still long enough for a photo is quite a feat, congrats on that alone.

You will occasionally find some BIG bts (6ft, etc) around the 'ville, seems to have been an influx of small fellas lately though, we got 9 in one night a few trips back, none more than 60cm.

Thanks guys :)

rednut I honestly didn't know they got that big. not sure what I wasbasing my thoughts on though, I've never researched them before. I quite enjoyed this trip, I learnt quite a bit.

Thanks guys :) Think I may neglect my uni work further and go out again soon...

Your pics are great, Laura. I don't recall pics of the whipsnake before ... nice find!

Regards,
David

Thanks guys :) Went out again tonight, except was hindered so didn't find much... just a road-killed snake, a kreffts (I think?) crossing the road and a gecko.. cause I find much in the short time I was out I also stopped by a frog for a few more pics...

Could someone ID the snake and the gecko?
7-4.jpg

6-7.jpg

5-7.jpg

3-9.jpg

2-9.jpg

1-13.jpg

4-8.jpg

Really? grossly it just looked like the snake was a solid brown, so I thought it musn't have been a keelback... but then when I saw the photos I noticed it had the loreal scale and the odd looking texture. out of curiosity sake are there other snakes in tville that you know of thathave the loreal scale? This is great I've been learning a lot off you guys lately, thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back