Herping Somerset Dam for beginners

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusy

Reaction score
Hi all, this weekend coming I'm headed to Somerset Dam for a weekend of camping, jetskiing, wakeboarding and hopefully taking a few photos of some herps.
Now im a complete beginner, only got a nice camera at the start of last week. What could I expect to find around the dam? Where should I look? What times should I go exploring? Any help at all would be great to make a successful trip.

Thanks all

For starters in the daylight hours there is an abundance of water dragons, turtles and a few bearded dragons and lacies here and there, once the sun goes down you can go for a drive around the area and you may come across snakes like carpet pythons and the odd spotted python, bandy-bandies, brown trees, small eyed's etc..

Coastal carpets will be basking on tree limbs which overhang the shoreline. As the lake is nearly 100% of full supply level, try the eastern shore from Camp Somerset.

If road cruising is your thing , the odd golden crowned, brown tree and mac will be stumbled across on the Somerset-Kilcoy rd. The greggors crek rd through to Toogoolawah will have some critters on it as well.

Ditch the jetski and wakeboard , take a rod and some lures. Somerset is the most heavily stocked lake in SEqld. Bass and Yellowbelly are the main species , but Mary river cod, silver perch and southern Saratoga have been stocked in the past.

Cheers

Well, no luck. Both looking for herps and fishing. Haha
went for a drive up to kilcoy, back and along greggors creek rd for a while. Didn't see a thing. Maybe too early. Not sure whether to try again later. See how I feel as it has been a long day in the sun. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back