Hey guys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myusername

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My name is Joe and I live in Queensland. I have been interested in snakes for as long as I can remember, and recently obtained my first two in the last few months. I have a two year old male spotted python and a one year old female bredli. I don't usually post in forums, preferring to read, but seeing as I now own snakes I felt that registering on aussiepythons.com was probably a responsible decision so far as I can draw from a wide range of opinions, experience and knowledge if and when I encounter problems or unfamiliar situations. From what I've seen everyone on this site is generally very helpful, even though there are some differing opinions!

I'll leave you guys with my first problem; my female bredli is flighty. She doesn't like to leave her enclosure, and when she is being handled she is constantly moving, and not moving her head around sniffing and checking things out, I mean moving everywhere, it's almost hard to keep up. She is nervous and will flinch relatively frequently and does look like she is going to strike sometimes, but bites are few and far between. Currently, I handle her about twice every three days for 15-25 minute periods. I feed her large meals fortnightly and make sure to leave her for four days after feeding before I touch her again.
I have read that bredlis as young snakes are somewhat flighty and do tend to calm down once they are a bit bigger / older. I was just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the age or size they reach before the begin to calm down? I was also wondering if anyone can comment on my handling frequency / method as to whether or not it is suitable to tame a python or whether I should increase / decrease the handling etc.

All feedback will be much appreciated!
Thanks guys
Joe

Feed it once every 7 days then as it grows older feed it once every 10 or so days, post up some pics we can help you on what size rat your snake should be feeding on and for the love of god only handle it once a day, if you handle them then put it back leave your snake until the next day, and remember to be gentle and be in a calm quite place with no distractions, I hope this helps.

Edit* also please watch some YouTube videos on how people handle there snakes, it will help you alot to make the snake feel safe and comfortable with you.

Hey Natexx,

I don't handle it as often as once per day as I don't want the snake to stress, so no worries there. Only two times every three days or so. Currently she is probably close to a metre long, and is feeding on fuzzy rats (probably close to adult mouse size). I feed her two every fortnight at the moment. So you think switching to one every week is a better idea?
I've been shown how to handle snakes, I'm incredibly gentle when handling and won't even attempt handling if removing the snake requires any sort of effort due to difficulty. Should I post this up outside the introductions section of the forum?

Thanks, Joe

You can just browse the forum and you will find alot of information that you need, even use google and search your pythons history and things like that, but yeah switch to 1 meal every 7-10 days much more ideal for a growing snake :)

IMO i would be feeding the Bredli one decent meal.As shes a yearling she should be eating atleast weaner rats..every 7-10days would be ideal..Hatchies-yearlings are a little snappy-flighty but should calm own with age..Just remember reptiles DONT like to be handled,but they will tolerate it..Some will calm down quick while others just wont at all..Every snake is different..As they are only newish snakes,once they settle into there new enviroment they should get used to you...Maybe you need to hook her out of her cage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back