Hi all from South aus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wikedelapids

Reaction score
Hi my names Dion, i have just started out with a gorgeous male tanami woma and qld water python i bought from gavin at Scales and tales 'great shop and both gavin and his wife are a really big help' so i am fairly new to keeping reptiles. i thought as i am a venomous snake handler/catcher 'when it permits on site in the pilbara' id go ahead and keep a few pythons to start with and then later on apply for my venomous licence. i love snakes and all reptiles, i guess only a select few can be able to like them but yeah i am facinated about snakes just so interseting and every day find somthing new about them. so any information that i receive about the current snakes i own will be much appreciated. i live in SA. any way enough about that i just thought id say hello as i am new to this site, and make mates and then go from there. enjoy your day :)

Hi Dion.
Good to see some more SA herpers on here! I also have a female Tanami Topaz Woma and a NT Water python. Iv got a few Red Bellies too.

Hey Dion, and welcome to the group! :)

Glad you got your new additions from Gav and Deb - I often spend quite a bit of time in there when I'm up!

Any queries you have, this is one place to ask! I've no doubt that Gav would've set you up with enough info for the basics to keep your new additions happy, healthy and comfy, so feel free to ask anything else! :)

Once again, welcome! :)

All the best,
Carolyn

thanks guys, thanks for the welcome :) i do have 2 questions, #1 My male Woma , is it normal for him to always be aggresive, like he always coils up and strikes when hes in the tank but as soon as hes out and im handling him hes fine, minus trying to bite, i find him trying to bit he comes up slowly and open his mouth next to my little finger so i move him away, but then hes sneaky and comes up from under my arm where i cant see his head and bites my little finger all the time, what causes this cos it is getting quiet annoying. lol and #2 are QLD water pythons good to own/handle/breed, whats there aggresion like? i know she is fine when shes in her tank but as soon as shes out BAM!! shes very excited and very active im not complaining about it i think its cool but yeah hmm any answer would be good cheers. :)

In reply to both questions, new snakes take a while to become comfortable in their new enclosures. This can cause them to be a little defensive, I know it’s hard but its best to leave them alone for a week or two before handling them. Womas can be a little snappy when young but tend to grow out of this.

ok thanks yeah the woma was born in january 2011 and the water python is at least 4 foot i think shes 2 years old i would have to ask Gavin about it though

howdy and welcome from an 'almost' South Aussie, im curious where in Adelaide is the Scales and Tails store? we are heading that way at xmas time and before we leave to come home i would like to do some 'shopping' :lol:

Scales and tails is on research road pooraka Thanks every one for the great welcome, I can say I found out by Gavin that my woma was scared an he had to be handled allot more and have allot more movement out side his tank easiest way to do this when I'm not home , put a action movie on in my room tv is big enough and then he's got movement all the time and it's worked he hasn't struck or been agressive in any way so I'm happy and he is happy, oh and on another note my water python started to shed today so far just past the head is done I'll just leave her to do her thing :) soooo shiny haha

thanks for that, ill check it out

glad to hear your girl is settling down for you

Welcome Dion....Agree Womas are just Awsome creatures & some do carry on with the big Bluff strikes when young until they become more relaxed with you:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back