Hi everybody!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakes

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just joined this site, and the missus is at me already for spending so much time on the computer:lol: but wow there is so much info on here i just cant stop looking! I currently own two big female beardies, both 2 yrs old, which hopefully will breed later this year when i borrow a male. Like alot of people on here am really keen to get into geckos in the near future.Especially Amyae and Levis levis which i think are the cutest and most interesting lizards i have seen. Hopefully will be heading up to the Hawksbury reptile show on sunday so might end up coming home with a new addition to my collection.

Welcome to APS! I'll be heading up to the reptile show as well! Hopefully i'll be able to STOP myself from buying more... wallet is kinda running bare at the moment!

Hi! :p

i have a very horny male if u wanna turn of him,...hehe, you can call me pimp mummy!!

never had Levis, but Amyae are a great choice in geckos! :p

welcome to APS!!

cheers for the offer Chris but a mate of mine has a really nice red male that hasnt yet seen a female so i will be pimping from him. ha ha. Yeah real keen on the Amyae but not the price tag! Might just have to bight the bullet and spend the dollars, just not tell the mrs how much they are.he he

hey oshakoor, my wallet is the same but im sure i will be takin a few greenbacks up just in case.

Last edited:
doh!! he'll be spewin!! :p

amyae are cheap as this year, ive seen them for as little as $250 each,....!!
tell the Mrs ur getting a bargain as they were $1200 a pair a couple of years ago,....

250 each isnt too bad considering they were that pricey a few years ago. Do you breed/keep this species Chris?

been keeping 4 of them for 3 years, this year was their first year of breeding, i made a few mistakes with the incubating and only ended up with 2 hatchies out of 3 pairs of eggs, but theyre doing well and are cute as! :p

theyre an easy species to keep, tame down nicely, i take mine out every few days to sit on my hand and have a drink. :p
highly recommended, and from my research i found their life expectancy is around 30 years,...

Thats unfortunate you lost a few. WOW!! 30 years thats crazy! Have been reading all of the threads on these critters and must admit am becoming quite the fan. Not sure whether to buy a couple of hatchies or a yearling pair? Does it make any difference trying to get an unrelated pair vrs clutchmates if i intend on breeding them? Also do you use heat mats or cord as heat source? Cheers

Ahh, live and learn eh,... i wont be making the same mistakes a second time!!

apparently the inbreeding doesnt matter ,(thats how people line breed reptiles for colour etc) but if theres 2 singles from differnt parents available i'd take those over a related hatchy pair.

age is up to you, if youre not confident yearlings would be more forgiving, but i like to get my critters young, maybe go for a 3-6 month old pair, by 6 months they should be sexable.

currently my amyae are sitting on 2 jungle enclosures so they have 2 patches of sand being heated tpo between 32 and 35C from the jungles heat panel (heat goes thru the top of teh jungle enclosure, 4cms of wood and 2-3cms of sand)....similar efffect to cords or mats really. from what im reading though cords are safer than mats.

i first saw amyae on an overseas site selling for $5,000 a pair and assumed they were exotics, i was so happy to find they were native and a mere $1200!! (which seemed cheap in comparison anyway)

Thanks for your input Chris, i like to get my lizards young too, though i always seem to end up with 2 girls! which would probably be a good thing in the case of Amyae. Have to see if there are any at this show, if so might have a pic to post soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back