Hi from DARWIN, NT! Children's and Darwin Carpet hex(?)! NSW help too!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdawgg910

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My Darwin hatchling.

DOB: October 21st, 2012
Current size: 68cm (April 21st, 2013. Exactly 6 months old.)
Feeding on: fuzzy rats or adult mice. Prefers live as he doesn't touch freshly defrosted mice or rats, but heated up in hot water or naturally in the hot weather here.
Sex: Male.

If half of his siblings are albino, does that make him a hex? I noticed his batch were all lighter in complexion compared to the other 3 non-albino clutches available.

My Children's.
DOB. About 3 years old now.
Current size: 89cm (April 21st, 2013)
Feeding on: weaner rats, but slowly going onto medium rats once a month
Sex: Male.

Currently shedding while I took his photo, all done now and hungry.

Also I have some questions in regards to NSW reptile legislations and temperature maintenance.

Up here, it is legal to own my Children's without a permit as long I can have proof of notice of purchase. As for my Darwin carpet I need a permit. (Which is free here from Parks and Wild life.)

I will be moving to Sydney in early July and plan on taking them with me. In regards to shipping, I have that sorted.

Is it illegal to buy live mice or rats for the purpose of feeding? I went to the Kellyville pet shop in North Western Sydney when I was down there and was told that, but thought I would confirm it with others here first as my youngest Carpet is very fussy and will not eat any frozen food and I don't like wasting money on food, whereas I can keep it live till he's hungry.

What will I require with such different weather changes? In Darwin, because the weather here is their natural environment, they always seem to be fine on the side of the house with significant shade on one side and exposed sand and dry wood mulch on the other. Just don't want them to freeze or cook to death with various temperature changes.

Look forward to hearing your replies. :)

Welcome Mate, Im sure someone will be able to answer your questions fairly soon.

On a side note though, it looks like your childrens having a bit of a hard time shedding?

hello and welcome beautiful snakes there lovin the darwin

Hey mate, welcome to the site. You may want to consider raising humidity in you children's enclosure during shed. He won't have those troubles anymore :)

In some places it is illegal to feed live unless under certain circumstances. I myself don't like feeding live, too much risks to the snake but each to their own I guess. If you are looking at feeding live you should consider breeding your own rodents as most won't sell rats/mice for live food. I'm not sure about NSW but I think it is illegal here in SA :?

NSW is cooler than the NT, you will probably need heat sources (Heat globes/heat mats/heat cable, etc) to keep their temps sitting at 30-35degrees. I also do believe NSW has new enclosure 'rules'. You might want to read up on that :)

Hey mate, welcome to the site. You may want to consider raising humidity in you children's enclosure during shed. He won't have those troubles anymore. :)

From my advice prior to owning any snakes I have been advised that I do not require any special heating equipment here in Darwin due to the humidity being around 100% and that their enclosures are out side, under the shade. In saying that, with the dry season in place now there isn't as much humidity as the wet season which explains why it's a little harder fir him now. When I held him he slid out of his skin with a little help.

Each tank has a dish of water that is enough for the snake to submerge itself, which in the past has helped him shed.:| My Darwin is fine with the same conditions , but I guess they are two different species and can't really compare them.

I just started breeding my own feeder rats. 1:4 male to female. Keen on baby rats! :)

Also is 68cm's for a 6 month Darwin Carpet big? In comparison to my Children's he eats a lot more and has grown very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back