Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No not really, I can have my guy curled up in a ball on my hands and he will sit there for ages. He also coils around my arm and sort of just pokes his head out to have a smell of everything. They love exploring though when you let them. And he's a real booby boy lol, always wanting to get down my shirt, but no definetly not as active as a diamond python or children. There the sort of python you can cuddle well as good as you can cuddle a snake anyway. I live at Bribie Island so your not too far away. Try to get a BHP that has been handled a lot, mine was taken to kids schools etc so really really tame but more are like that by nature anyway. A little note though the babies can be nippy but most grow out of this, and don't ever make the mistake I did and put them on the floor to eat a rat, they stay in feed mode for quite a while after and everything that moves is food lol. I've found they also don't stike there food, more like a gentle dog taking a treat from his owner. Hope this helps

wow ok that's pretty cool about the feeding thing. yeah when i get my bhp he will be handled every day because i want him really tame. i heard they have a big bite. but do the babies bites hurt?

Sorry can't help you there as I havn't been bit by one yet, I guess any juvi snake dosn't really hurt more shock than anything. But yes I've heard that BHP's have one of the worst bites and the one I seen when I got my boy was around the 10 - 11ft mark or 2 1/2 metres and he was hissing and carring on when they got him out for me to hold, although a lot of it is more show than anything and from what I"ve heard BHP's are reluctant to bite the would rather head but you or get away if needed. When you first get your snake try not to handle it for at least a day or two if it is really young. You will soon know if you snake likes being handled, some snakes don't like it at all, others tollerate it. I've found with my guy he's happy to be held for about 20 - 30min and then he's sort of had enough and lets me know by trying to get off and hide somewere.

wow love the pics he is gorgeous how old is he?

Adrian is around 18 - 20months old so a decent size for his age, I seen a female the other day that was 2 years old and only 2ft long. I'm trying to find him a girlfriend so we can breed them hopefully next season.:D

cool well the one i was looking at this morning was around 3 months old and 2 foot and i was holding him but he seemed really shy he didnt hiss or anything aggressive but he was is the s position. i was holding him for about 5 to 10 mins. i want one that will sit with me alot that i can carry around all day type thing. have you tried the herp trader? thats where im getting my little guy from.

Yeah I usually check out all the sites, I got my guy off Pet Link from a lady that lived at chermside, it's a pitty you were not chasing one a couple of weeks ago as she was selling my boys brother who was bigger than adrian and just as friendly. My guy has never formed the S position, not even when he has a rat right in front of him. If you want a snake you can walk around with for a long period of time than definetly find a really really friendly one, otherwise bites may be possible. I've found with people I have talked about BHP's with that they are either really friendly or have bad bad attitudes lol, so you don't want one like that. With any snake though I recon you wouldn't get much more than 30min of holding them, I know it's hard sometimes as you want to just keep picking them up, but all snakes stress after a while as they want to go off and do there own thing. But then again all depends on the snake. The good thing with Adrian too is we can hand him to anyone, even people that are just terrified of snakes and nervous as anything and he dosn't mind the slightest, he does hang on to them a little tighter but that's only cause there shaking like mad lol.

I personally recomend going for one that's a bit older and been handled a lot and well looked after, there a bit bigger but so much more docile and take a lot more than the babies.

ok thanks for the info im pretty clueless about all this. ive read up heaps on the species but i want to hear feed back from owners. do you know many people i could talk to?

Well I started a thread ages ago about which was the best snake etc, than it wen't too the BHP's and I asked everyone what there BHP's temprement was like etc and pretty much all were good and calm, except the odd bad one. And I found that more females than boys had the bad temp. Also everyone said that there BHP's loved there food and are cranky at feed time. Don't worry too much go for your BHP there a great snake and I would recomend them out of all the species kept as there great to look at and good natures. Like any snake though they can always change there mood but I've found there pretty consistant and you can tend to tell there moods better. Like for eg my boy tonight seem's a little bit moody, not going to strike or anything but moves fast when I go near him, at closer inspection I've noticed his eye's are milky so he must be going to shed soon and that would explain why he's a bit on edge, so oviously I wouldn't get him out tonight lol. Anyway good luck with your BHP search, I'm sure you will find a perfect BHP that you can cuddle all the time. JMO go for an older one, that way you will know it's temprement, but then if you want a smaller one to start with don't worry as I'm sure you will find a placid one in them. True Blue on here is very smart about snakes if you want to ask him anything. If you want to know anything in perticular just start your own thread and I'm sure you'll get lots of pics and answers. Make sure you show us pics once you get him / her.

oh also forgot to add, there's a really nice female BHP on animal attraction, she's around 2ft and I was thinking at first of getting her so I asked heaps of questions but she's a bit too small for my boy. They said she was very calm, good feeder and she's got nice markings hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back