Hi

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzyA

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am in SA and just starting out on the journey to getting a herp (or herps). I have always liked lizards although a bit more cautious about snakes. However during the holidays had the opportunity to experience both a bearded dragon and black headed python (from memory) which were great.

I have a very bright 4yo how is also snake/lizard mad. He is also very keen to get a turtle which I have had before however was unfortunate to lose it through a water problem (like half the town I lived in did with their fish/turtles etc) at the same time. I am currently using my aquariums for our pond fish as the owners of the house didn't put a filter on so until I found a way to syphon out the muck it got yucky. Just finishing it off then will get the tank back for the turtle.

I am reading lots of posts on here to try and learn as much as I can and will be visiting the local library for books. At this stage am not sure what we will get although am thinking of either a children's python and/or maybe a bearded dragon. I have seen some eastern(?) water dragons which also really appealed.

Thanks for making us newbies feel welcome.

Sue :)

Last edited:
hi and welcome
i have a 5 year old daughter and she has been brought up on lizards, turtles and snakes. and she is great with them.
in my opinion, i would recomend a bearded dragon. they are easy to keep and make great pets for kids
water dragons get a lot bigger but most of them are very fiesty and dont like to be handled
most people will say childrens pythons are great, however in my experience both of the ones i have had are ferrels and bite constantly. however my carpet python is as soft and gentle as a puppy. good luck in what ever you choose to get. and hope u get the help u are after on this site

Welcome to the site Suzy. Hope you get the info you're lookin for.

Have fun.
T

thanks for welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome and I had a laugh at SuzyQ I get that a lot.

I think we will stick with a children's python, mum (whom we live with) is pushing her boundaries just thinking about us having a snake the house but is positive about it and she's not worried about a lizard.

My son almost gave her a heart attack the other week. He understands not to touch a snake in the wild but the neighbours (unknown to mum) have a big rubber snake (about 1 -1.5m long) in their garden to frighten the birds. He discovered it and of course wanted to hold it. He snuck out the front door and into their garden bringing it home. He then walked into the lounge room holding this snake just like he'd learnt with the black headed python. Mum nearly hit the roof (physically) before she realised it was rubber.

For now he will have to be content with going to the shop for a look. I plan on starting to get all the setup stuff after christmas and then look to get the animal. I am sure we will end up with a real menagerie over time.

Sue :)

Welcome Sue,
Just keep in mind water dragons can be a bit more flighty than beardies so if you want to handle it a bearded dragon is probably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back