Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren86

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm up in cairns, qld and saw at a pet shop up here yesterday that they are selling, citrus and orange/red forms or EASTERN bearded dragons. Is this possible? I was under the impression that these colours were limited to the inland species. I asked the sales assistant and she assured me they were P. barbatus. I was also told they were sourced from victoria. I was then told that I shouldn't keep P vitticeps up here as they dont like the humidity, even though they were selling a shinglback? i thought they were more susceptible to humidity issues than inland beardies???

If they're true easterns, they'll have 3 distinct dots on their nose, apart from other distinguishing characteristics:)

And they shouldn't be selling barbatus in pet shops in qld anyway!?
I though the same as you Darren, I didn't think high colours were in easterns

Good point Jasspa, I hadn't even considered that. They were also selling shingleback (not allowed commercially as far as i know). and thick tailed gecko's though they're allowed. How dodge is that!

Out of curiosity, what other colours and patterns besides "plain" can you get in Eastern Beardies? Has anyone ever seen some different patterns or colours in them before, besides the norm?

dark-b;ue grey in easterns, quite nice, mostly are a rich yellow creamy brown colours.

I have yellow easterns. And I have seen wild easterns around the McLaren Vale Wine district in S.A. That are Bright yellow with green heads ( inbetween the eyes) , juvinles with red edges to the spots on their backs and yellow adults with a bule/purple gray back. Like most beardies they only show these colours when they are warm and happy.

i know a reputable pet shop that sell easterns

just asking why arent they allowed to sell easterns in qld anyways?

No idea to be honest. I worked pet shops for about five years, and we were always told by the epa that we were only allowed vitticeps and henrylawsoni.

I have yellow easterns. And I have seen wild easterns around the McLaren Vale Wine district in S.A. That are Bright yellow with green heads ( inbetween the eyes) , juvinles with red edges to the spots on their backs and yellow adults with a bule/purple gray back. Like most beardies they only show these colours when they are warm and happy.

can you post pics?

If you look into commercial licensing on epa website, it lists animals that people on recreational permits can keep, and ones that commercial or shop permits can keep. easterns and shinglebacks are not on the list.
Its not hard to tell them apart, but i wouldn't be surprised if some pet shops sell them without knowing the difference.

i know a reputable pet shop that sell easterns

just asking why arent they allowed to sell easterns in qld anyways?

Guy from the epa hear told me it's to avoid people plucking them out of the paddock to make a quick buck.
Maybe they're really Vitticeps?

only vitticeps allowed to be sold in pet shops.. used to run reptile section in one... no easterns allowed in qld in commercial pet shop licence... and shingle backs a DEFINATE NO GO!

im not 100% sure but i know we used to purchase mainly from URS to get the red phase colours through and they are one of the main suppliers for red and yellow phase in pet shops. Name of pet shop pls? As i used to supply my left over stock to pet shops also and know who runs and deals them at most of the shops there.

I wonder if they know they're not sposed to sell them? Some pet shop people have no idea how to handle reptiles, but still stock them. It's sad really.
Any one else out there own Eastern Beardies that are different in any way? Here's my girl Pepsi (on top). She often colours up yellow on her leags and arms, sometimes her head will go a whitish cream, but otherwise she's just...well, Pepsi!

easterns can come in yellow,orange and reddish forms,mostly they are grey though,but certain areas they are found in the wild sporting yellow,reddy or orangey colouring so it is possable,but ive noticed alot of folk selling eastern beardies and when u ask to see pics of them there actually inland beardeds,theres also the possability they are crosses,generally easterns are a leaner species,and longer looking in appearence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back