Homing Pigeon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
Found a rather lost homing pigeon up at the stables today...He has his flight feathers but he cant fly...I've put him in the aviary and he's eating some budgie seed and drinking a fair bit...But he still cant fly...He had a band on but no number, so I cant return him to his owner...Any Ideas? How do I look after him?

Look up on the internet: Pigeon/bird sites, they will probably know how you can establish who it belongs to, it might also be microchipped, unlikely , but possible, a Vet will have a scanner to read it.
Well done for looking after it though!

Neil

I've done a search...Not too much luck...Its in our chicken coop at the moment...Getting a wee bit worried....Hes starting to walk a little funny :D

The fact that he is eating is a good sign and he is proberly just dog-tired or concussed, but don't take chances as he may be sick or poisoned. Quarrantine him from the rest of your birds ASAP! Put him in a quiet, warm, draft-free area with plenty of food and water.

Ok thanks Fuscus...Will do...My mum wants me to keep him and when he can fly to let him loose to go back to where he came from, but I have a feeling he is going to come back to our place...What should I keep him in? I have some large cages, but they cant come inside...

My bet (and remember this isn't 100%) is that he will recover enough to fly away tomorrow morning (if he doesn't then there is something major wrong :( ). Put him in a cocky cage with most sides covered and where there is little to stress the bird, in a garage or something thing like that.

keep us informed.

Will do...I've moved our sulphar c. into the aviary and given the cage to the pigeon...He doesnt seem very active, he is staying on the floor and not even interested in the perches...I have tried throwing him in the air in our house to get him flying but he just flops to the ground... And he has sorta growth looking things around his eyes and nose...Is that normal?

most likely he has picked up something from a wild bird keep him away from all your birds then take him to the vet also is it possible he flew into a window an is injured

Sounds like you are doing all the right things Belinds but this guy sounds more than just fatigued. Considering the bird's condition and the fact his leg band has no identifying letters/numbers on it has limited your search options.
You'll know when the sun comes up I guess.

wring its neck so it dies and then it will be out of its missery

yea then freeze it for a few months, great snake food. No i dont think it is cruel to kill it if it is suffering, it is more humane to kill it quickly then to let it die slowly, tho I am sure you know that.

I'm not going to kill the thing...He is getting better...Very slowly. I let him sleep in my room last night...The whole idea was to encourage him to fly onto higher areas for the night ( natural instinct ) and he managed to fly up onto my desk so I guess that was a bonus...He isnt as tippsy today so he is now outside in an empty run we have..Hopefully he gets better...I'll keep you updated :)

Brendan,
Feeding it bicarb soda is much better :p
Pigeons can't expel gas mwahhhhhh hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back