Housing Coastal hatchies in same enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemart

Reaction score
Is it ok/acceptable to house 1.1 coastal hatchlings in the same enclosure for a short period of time (2-4 weeks?). They will be fed seperately in rubbermaids, then placed back into the enclosure.

Why not keep them in the rubbermaids?
Sorry just makes more sence to me

well, for one it looks prettier when they are housed in the enclosure. But for more serious reasons, I struggle to get an acceptable temperature gradient in the rubbermaids. Especially as I would be placing the rubbermaids inside the original enclosure. I have a strip of heat tape that would go under one end of both for a hot spot, but once lighting is provided to give them a proper day/night cycle it's too difficult to get stable temps within the restrictive plastic tubs.

Why would you need to put them in the enclosure?
You can fit 2 suitable containers on a low wattage heat mat(Use a thermostat if you please) thats about all the heat they need.
Seems like alot of trouble for a stay of 2-4 weeks.

I have kept hatchy bredli, childreni and maccies together for there fist year without a hassle. Just dont feed them together.

do what you feel is good, just keep an eye on them, as long as your feeding separatly it should be ok,

cheers,
steve.........

yayo, they wouldn't be staying here for a total of two weeks, I'm keeping both of them. The problem is that I just built a really nice looking enclosure and I would like to use it. Also, it's hard to provide light cycles in rubbermaids which is why I prefer an enclosure with timer controlled lighting. I plan on adding a seperating shelf in the current enclosure which will effectively split it into two seperate enclosures, both wired seperately. Once I have completed this it will be fine but I suspect it will take me two to four weeks to get all the necessary bits and pieces to do it properly.

I don't see any problems with it. I agree that getting a good thermal gradient is enough reason to house them together.

I to have always kept snakes together in enclosures. Never had any problem......Oh wait yes once I did with two scrubbies. The female killed the male but hey thats scrubbies lol You wont have any problem as long as they are lose in size

gold

The only things i keep together are golden trees,but there seperated at dinner time.

the little buggers only eat chicken fillet ,how spoilt is that ?

its perfectly fine
as every1 else has said just seperate them at meal time
but after they have finished eating keep them seperated for few hours

Those gold phases are stunning. I think you're gonna cost me some money now....Kris is eyeing them off and talking about buying some :roll:

yes i think it would be ok to keep them together provided there is enough hiding spots!!! bulldogwoma have they bred before?there absoluty stunning

no,unfortunately,their both girls but they have slug eggs every year.is that normal ? you should see them in the sun..THEY GLOW !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back