housing multiple dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lana1

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if painted dragons, peninsula dragons, and bearded dragons can he housed together, or two of them can be? also what are the personality/temparment's of each of these? Thanks

In terms of Ctenophorus species as hatchlings you can typically house around 3-4 per enclosure just keep an eye out for aggression or dominance issues. As adults typically 1 adult pair per enclosure if the way to go. Other then that, DON'T mix species.

The problem that arises is that dragons have a strong system of visual communication. Those species that are highly territorial and intolerant of other adult males in their territory, can exert the same dominant influence on members of different species through their visual signalling. I know of an eastern water dragon housed at the opposite end of the reptile room, which was in clear view of a male bearded dragon. The stress caused to the EWD by the bearded’s dominance displays eventually resulted in its death. So if you wish to house different dragon species together, you need to make sure the given species are not strongly territorial. Most dragons exert a cert degree of territoriality to ensure they have adequate access to the resources available where they live. Most rock dragons are pretty tolerant of close neighbours. So mixing Painteds and Penisulas, allowing adequate space should be fine but I personally would not include Beardeds.

Blue

The problem that arises is that dragons have a strong system of visual communication. Those species that are highly territorial and intolerant of other adult males in their territory, can exert the same dominant influence on members of different species through their visual signalling. I know of an eastern water dragon housed at the opposite end of the reptile room, which was in clear view of a male bearded dragon. The stress caused to the EWD by the bearded’s dominance displays eventually resulted in its death. So if you wish to house different dragon species together, you need to make sure the given species are not strongly territorial. Most dragons exert a cert degree of territoriality to ensure they have adequate access to the resources available where they live. Most rock dragons are pretty tolerant of close neighbours. So mixing Painteds and Penisulas, allowing adequate space should be fine but I personally would not include Beardeds.

Blue
We just had a similar situation at work with a EWD and bearded, the water dragon was getting quite thin from not eating and luckily was bought before having to be moved. He was a lot larger than the beardie but the beardies aggressive attitude resulted in him constantly hiding in his water tub and henceforth missing his food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back