how big do black-headed monitors grow too

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spottedpython

Reaction score
just interested to find out how big they grow to and what size enclosure would they do good at for 1 monitor would a 4ftx2ftx2ft be big enough or would they need a bigger one then that

Spottedpython,

I keep my adult pair of Blackheaded Monitors in a 4 foot fish tank. They have more than enough room and have bred for me the last 3 years. They are around 70 to 80cms long.

I've never kept them, so if someone knows more then correct me :) But they're semi-aboreal, and would make use of any branches you offer them. I've seen photos of them in trees etc.

Try searching "care sheet" "varanus tristis", it should show up something.

Spottedpython,

They love trees and are great climbers. I have a few hollow branches in their enclosure to climb on. The trouble placing Trisis in a high cage with branches to climb on, is that you will need a front opening door. This is definatley not the species for a front opening door due to their speed. Once heated, they are one of the fastest monitors known. Open the door and they are off over your shoulder like a bullet.

spottedpython said:
whats better for them glass fish tank or wood with glass front

Wood with a glass front is the best option for almost all reptiles (except semi aqautic and aquatic reptiles ofcrouse), because it's far easier to heat, clean, hold heavy decor objects and it helps alot of reptiles from stressing as they feel more hidden and safe as not as many things can see them.

To save my **** from being flamed - i am no expert and i may possibly be wrong but this is what i believe is true.

spottedpython said:
so bigguy so it should be top opening for these species

I know the question wasen't directed at me however i believe and have been told by many monitor keepers that top opening doors are the most suitable way of entry.

as bigguy said not a good idea to have a front opening cage as if they are basking and are quite warm they are very very quick

Thats a very good point, I never would have thought of that. Thanks spottedpython, your question has been very usfull to me :D :D :D

Well say you were building an enclosure for one, possibly two, out of melamine. I was going to make it about 1m high x 130 long x 60 deep. What would be the easiest/best option to access them (meaning where should I put the door?)

Cheers guys, Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back