How cold is too cold?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how cold is too cold during winter for cooling.

I am just going to turn off heat completely during winter as I think the temps should be fine as they are, during the day should be around 18-20, and night above 10 except on extreme days.

So what temp is the lowest it should hit before I think about turning the heat back on for a bit?

You still need to heat them during the day (30+ degrees). 20 degree days and 10 degree nights = sick snakes.

Not planning on cooling any time soon, but I thought you could let it go cooler than that and have them hibernate. I obviously haven't read Doc's article on breeding (or anything else for that matter). You might find Doc's article on the SXR site helpful, VixenBabe. He has temperature graphs and everything.

You still need to heat them during the day (30+ degrees). 20 degree days and 10 degree nights = sick snakes.

Wouldnt that defeat the purpose of cooling, it would be like summer temps? Plus if they were on 30 degree heat all day wouldnt you be able continue feeding them? :?

The temps for brumation differ accross the range of pythons so its wize to
research the process for the species that you have.
Doc Rocks articles are a great place to start

Yep have read over them a few times, thats where I got most my info from. He states 22 as max for daytime temps.

But was just wondering how low the temp can drop before it starts to be unsafe for the python

MY diamond in Canberra gets 4 hours of heat in winter from 6.30am - 10.30am (29deg in the basking spot) and some nights even in the house his enc gets down to 0 deg, he handles it fine :)

Doc Rock also mentions that he provides a basking spot much higher than 22 degrees during Winter, in fact he states that the temperature of the basking spot is increased during Winter (compared to Summer), to help the pythons cope with the cold nights. 22 degrees refers to the ambient temperature, a basking site with much higher temps is always provided during the day.

if the temps get much below 12 d for any long peroid you could run the risk of respiritory problems

Mr B can you please PM me the page where he states that, Ive read over a few times and cant seem to find it, probably right in front of me :lol:

And thanks for the input, I want to make sure I do everything right for them, if anyone else would care to contribute please do :)

For breeding adult pythons
You must provide hot spot every day in autum ,winter and spring
the hotspot should be 33c i run my hot spots all day in winter,
i will not risk the health of my pythons to save on electricity,,
reduce night temps only down to 18c any lower you may have problems with RI depending on each individual.
all pythons can be bred with these temps ,

Good luck
Roger

My cooling methods are fairly basic, I leave the day time temps constant all year round(30 + degrees) and no night time heat at all. I just vary the day time length from about 14 hours in summer to about 6 in winter. I'm in Sydney so night time temps get down to about 10 degrees but seems to work just fine

Thanks guys, I will give that a try then, constant basking temps but no night. Since im in central QLD it shouldnt get too cold anyway

Constant hot spot of 30-32 deg for 4 hrs in the morning [ 7-11pm ] and 2 1/2 hrs in the arvo [ 2 -4.30pm ].
You must provide a well insulated hide box so that they retain most or some heat during the cold nights.

as long as they have acsess to constant day time heat of 30 degrees plus, it dosnt matter if the temps get below 10 degrees at night, in fact for alot of species, most in fact, this is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back