How do i incubate a wild bird egg

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainer

Reaction score
Hi today i found 4 eggs on the ground three of which were cracked and geting eatin by ants but the forth was perfect so i have brought it home and put it in a tub of vermiculite with a 60w globe over it. I have covered it a bit and put a thermometer next to it.It is siting at 34-35c.
So My Questions are: Is this a good setup?
Are the temps right?
should i turn the egg?
how do i no if it is still alive?

Thanks in advance

what is the egg from do you know? maybe 35 is a bit high? i think 30 is a safe number to stay at :D

ive heard they like the warm temps, 35-37 possibly? *someone please correct*

i think it would have to be turned?

is the vermiculite dry?

someone with more knowledge should be able to help.

the vermiculite is dry
i dnt no wat sort it is
and my dad thinks it may be a noisy minner cause the nest all year

for a bird egg you may be better putting it on a bunch of tissues arranged in the shape of a nest.. it will be alot softer and wont built too much humidity/heat ....

to figure out if the egg is alive i would suggest candling.. carefully pick the egg up and hold it over the end of a torch. the light from the torch will shine through the egg and if you do this every couple of days you should see the inside of the egg changing (veins will grow around the inside of the egg, you should also see a small dark spot which will usually be the baby bird developing)

i can see veins
and i will try the tissues tomorow to see wat temp
it gets to on them.
thanks for all the help so far

keep the heat on it but not too high, i would probably go for around 30 or slightly above, and I wish you the best of luck with it, but i must add this...just be aware that if the egg is alive and you manage to hatch it, depending on what type of bird comes out it may be very hard to keep it alive.. Baby native birds are fairly fragile and need the right food and the right temperatures or they get sick very easily.. even week old hatchlings are hard to keep alive and need constant feeding... I guess what I am saying is that if the egg doesn't survive, don't beat yourself up - sadly it might be better that way :(

ok thanks heaps and i am aware that it is a long shot
but im ganna try any way i will keep every1 updated
also how often should i turn it?

noisy miner is different to indian myner.. even if it is a pest if it is hand raised from egg it can't be released as it wont be able to find food etc so really that bit isnt going to matter as it will be captive forever :)

as for how often to turn it.. thats one bit im not sure on... a helpful resource may be anything you can find on hatching chickens.. the basic principals should be the same :) there should be specific instructions on how often to turn chicken eggs. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back