Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysteryman

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Heya

i'm interested in becoming a snake guru.....

i want to be like some members who can tell what type of snake it is just by looking at a pic.

i can do the basics (most common pet pythons) but no one ever takes a pic of a BHP and asks "what is it?" lol

is there certain books, websites that yall have seen / read with this sort of information (like an A - Z of aussie snakes).

loving this forum, i check it more than Facebook

thanks in advance for any recomendations

You just pick it up as you go mate
But yea there's so much stuff on the net you will have no trouble finding info on whatever you need

you just pick it up.
i'm no snake guru but i can tell the differences between a pygmy bearded dragon and a central bearded dragon just by looking. you also get the arrogant people that will insist they have something they dont just because the person they bought it off said so. e.g
store person:'look at my central beardie'
Me: 'no, thats actually a pygmy bearded dragon'
store person: 'no its not, i was told its a central!'
Me:*brings in a pic of hatchling of a central and pygmy* 'Central & Pgymy hatchlings'
Store person: YOU'RE WRONG!!!'

Give your self about 25 or so years and you just might get close :rolleyes:

It's pretty easy really. Just a few months on this site and I could ID quite a few things. Except some elapids look like each other. And of course rough scaled snakes and keel backs are very alike, although I can tell the difference with a photo of the head.

Heya

i want to be like some members who can tell what type of snake it is just by looking at a pic.

i can do the basics (most common pet pythons) but no one ever takes a pic of a BHP and asks "what is it?" lol

is there certain books, websites that yall have seen / read with this sort of information (like an A - Z of aussie snakes).

When i frist started i was going to post this as well.

But now i think im pretty good (well for how long ive been on) i can now identify a keelback from a small eyed snake sometimes. You'll get it pretty quickly. Just go around the threads, look at the for sale adds as i found them pretty helpful, and most of the herping threads, they are good, i look at the picture then guess, most of the time im wrong but im learning :)

Ben

just read read and read. i did, i have identification books and stuff before i got snakes. i remember all of australias pythons scientific names and stuff becuase i wanted a snake so bad,just have to be keen enough

Read lots of books that way you can get to learn latin names as well. I have many reptile books i have read cover to cover well over 20 times

go out and find and study every species of reptiles in Australia... then keep and breed every species... then call your self a guru ;)

Heya

A lot of people on this site (myself included) have grown up with reptiles. We had our heads in reptile books because we were obsessed with them. This is one great way to know your reptiles. The other is getting off your butt and finding these animals in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back