How do you "cool" snakes for breeding, and when?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people start around the end of April. There are a couple of ways of doing it but the easiest I think is to wait till the last meal has passed through then start reducing the number of hours a day that heat is provided. They generally still need a hot spot around the same temperature as during the warmer months so I don't change thermostats numbers at all.
Just FYI too I don't breed yet but I still like to cool them and this is the method a friend uses with a great deal of success.

i'm no breeder and don't know much about this topic but maybe a thermostat might be a start? just to know the temps and control them yourself. might depend on your location too, the guy i got my coastals from didn't even have a breeder setup, he was just a keeper and the conditions around cairns naturally had them comfortable enough and they bred and the eggs hatched without need for an incubator, he didn't give them any heat sources haha

I keep their basking spot at the same temp as summer, for smaller snakes no heat at night is usually enough to successfully cool, for larger bodied snake reduce the number of hours again.

How many hours do you drop down to? Also wondering when do you pair them up

Cooling snakes for breeding is also about what state in Australia U live in. There are different circumstances for each state because of the different temps. Canberra - Vic - QLD - Darwin - NSW are all diff temps that need to be considered.. QLD and Darwin do not any heat to prepare snakes for breeding, and as it was previously said it usually starts in April.

Last edited:
Breeding Pythons

Hi Bec,
Its not a subject that can really be answered in a couple of lines, Simon Stone told me many years ago when I first started that there is not one right way but there are many wrong ways.
In the pioneering days of snake breeding in the USA they tried many techniques to get snakes to breed without much succsess until someone stored some in an outside shed which was very cold & when they brought them back inside they began mating & laying........
if you read Doc Rocks articles (attached link) it will help you & all others on this thread immensely.

Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Best regards,
Paul:)

im wondering what u have to do to "cool" snakes for breeding and when it has to be etc

If you have to ask you probably aren't ready to breed. I read everything I could get my hands on for my first year of breeding so I had no questions when it came time to cool. All the info is out there in books like Keeping and breeding Australian pythons and online in articles like Doc Rocks write ups etc.. Once you have gained enough knowledge you will have the confidence of how and what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back